Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Something scarey happened to me today.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/something-scarey-happened-me-today-t195498.html)

drgranny 07-23-2012 11:30 AM

Something scarey happened to me today....

I got in my car to go to a dr.visit. I got in, closed the door, put key in starter and turned it. nothing happened except that my electronic door locks locked. The car wouldn't start. Had a dead battery. The locks work off the battery. I was locked in my car and it was about 100 degrees outside. I called the auto parts store that is close to my house and they sent a guy with a battery booster to help me. As soon as the car started I was able to unlock the doors. The car also has electric windows that work off the battery. I was only in the car for about 10 minutes but it was long enough for the heat to make me dizzy. The only thing I could think of to prevent this from happening again is to start the car before shutting the door. I will have to try to remember to always do this. Next time I may be someplace where I can get no help. Just another reason to always make sure you have a charged cell phone with you.

craftybear 07-23-2012 11:36 AM

glad you were okay and that you had your cell phone to call for help

sweet 07-23-2012 11:36 AM

Oh MY!! What you described certainly is scarey. I am glad you are ok. Might suggest a towel on your seat embroidered with "Start Engine Before Closing Door". More people need to know about this. Can you please mention the car model and year?

QuiltE 07-23-2012 11:53 AM

Even with power locks, mine still has manual door locks, next to the window, so you can still open the door, in case of power failure.

I would have thought that all cars have those ... does yours not?

Glad that you are OK

Tartan 07-23-2012 12:04 PM

Wow, your cell phone was a lifesaver today! Glad you are alright.

drgranny 07-23-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5388077)
Even with power locks, mine still has manual door locks, next to the window, so you can still open the door, in case of power failure.

Glad that you are OK

I thought it did but it would not budge so I just thought that that was not what that little tab lever was after all. So just goes to show that you need to be more vigilant about things. Know about all the stuff inside your car and how it works.

LynnVT 07-23-2012 12:26 PM

Glad that you are OK

My Prius has auto and manual locks from the inside. Awful experience for you!

mom-6 07-23-2012 12:27 PM

On my truck you can roll down the windows as long as the door has not been opened after you turn it off, but don't think the doors lock automatically until after it is moving. I usually hear the click about the end of the driveway.

feline fanatic 07-23-2012 12:34 PM

That is scarey. I am glad I have an older model car that does not have this feature of locking the doors automatically. I hate it when I ride in my neighbors car and when we get to where we are going I can never open my door until she unlocks it. Why do the manufacturers think this is a necessary "safety" feature. It would have proven just the opposite if you weren't able to get help.

With that line of thinking it is a miracle any of us reached adulthood when nothing had auto lock, auto seat belt, mandatory helmet laws for bicycles, etc. etc.

ptquilts 07-23-2012 12:35 PM

Glad that you are OK

Mine does too, a GMC model - what kind of car do you have Drgranny?

Also, mine does not lock until you shift out of park - you can adjust what it does, read your owner's manual. Don't want it to happen again.