Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Song lyrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/song-lyrics-t312287.html)

bearisgray 08-28-2020 09:11 AM

Song lyrics

Do you actually listen to the lyrics of some songs?

I've been looking up the lyrics from some songs that I can only remember a line or two of - -

And the Band Played on - written in 1895
Teacher's Pet - 1950's version
The Lion Sleeps Tonight
School Days
Mairzy Doats

I don't even try to understand what the rappers are saying - I can't hear that fast - and I probably would not like what i was hearing if I could understand it!

Have you ever been surprised by what the actual lyrics to a song are?

Iceblossom 08-28-2020 09:42 AM

I was a trained musician and I typically hear lyrics very well. I also tend to understand heavily accented people better than many other people as well.

I'm always amazed when people think bitter break up songs are romantic! Or when they are confused on the meaning of the song Born in the USA.

As for Mairzy Doats...

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy!
A kid will eat ivy too -- wouldn't you?

And yeah, that is off the top of my head so maybe minor mistake on the translation verse :)

bearisgray 08-28-2020 09:52 AM

Born in the USA - I just read all the lyrics. Oh. My.

mjkgquilt 08-28-2020 01:56 PM

IceBlossom, I remember those words from a song popular during WW2. Not too sure of the meaning of the words.

ladyinpurple135 08-28-2020 04:32 PM

It took me years to get the words to the Flintstones theme🥴🥴😄. Still working on Louie, Louie🤭

quiltingshorttimer 08-28-2020 05:35 PM

usually, although I wouldn't win any radio contest! My husband routinely gets song lyrics stuck in his head for days.

toverly 08-29-2020 03:21 AM

Oh, Ice Blossom! You have started an ear worm memory today. Sang that song over and over in the car on road trips as a kid. Can you imagine the pain we caused our parents?

nlgh 08-29-2020 03:37 AM

Ice blossom, you translated the line correctly. For those who are much younger than us, the word "does" is the plural of the word for female deer, doe. The song was popular when my older sister was away at college in the mid 40's. I was only a child just starting grade school when my sister taught it to me. I think someone had to tell me the meaning. I don't remember figuring it out on my own. My sis was 11 years older than me and has been in heaven for 10 years now. Mother lost two children at birth, hence the reason for the age gap.

molly oldham 08-29-2020 03:40 AM

I still sing mairzy doats to my great grands whenever I have a chance to rock them. My mama sang it to me. Precious memories.

Iceblossom 08-29-2020 07:57 AM

Ear worms are serious business! One of my favorite bosses and I had this thing and when one of us would go by the other we'd plant an evil ear worm just as a statement or question, like "Hey Jim, you ever go dancing in the moonlight?" and that was enough. It might have been 8:30 in the morning and at 5:00 it's either still in your head or maybe you were lucky enough to switch to a marvelous night for a moondance or something else instead.

One way to get rid of ear worms is to write out the lyrics, preferably long hand. That activates a different part of the brain. Sometimes all I can do is switch it to something else, and maybe from there I can break the loop.

Me, I play it to death. Over and over with every beat and lyric correct. You never want to do that to another living person, I'm not quite sure how well the dogs take it some times. One of the bad things about that is when you have a bad/song you hate stuck in your head. warning: (hey can we do hidden text/spoiler stuff here??) Midnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldaur is a bad one for me, I have every note, inflection, pause down to a science and a snarl.

Not sure what an ear worm is? I haven't gone through all of this list but from the first 5 or so, I'd say they'd qualify but you have to know them.
https://etcanada.com/photos/163907/t.../#image-163942