Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Southern women - too cute (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/southern-women-too-cute-t114356.html)

Navy Wife 04-07-2011 04:14 PM

Born in Addlanna, and "raised" in South GA. I cut my teeth on all these rules and sayings! They are still part of me despite the fact that I left GA 55 years ago to follow a Naval Officer around the world! Of course we've been in TN for a lot of years, and that can be considered Southern!

damaquilts 04-07-2011 04:32 PM

My ex was a North Jersey boy through and through. We had lived in south FL but there wasn't much difference.
When he first went to Atlanta to look around the guy told him. Look for the T'ire. He drove all over Altanta looking for a big tire. What the guy had said was Look for the Tower! And he got stuck on 285 going around and around LOL
My ex also freaked because when we first moved to Peachtree City the way down 74 from the interstate had cows along the side of the road. LOL He considered himself WAY in the country.
I didn't mind the country it was Peachtree City that drove me nuts. To Stepford wife

darlin121 04-07-2011 04:44 PM

As a true southern belle I can testify that all of the above is true HOWEVER not enough was said about football. Now football is not a sport down south, its more of a religion. From pee-wee football to High school ball on Friday nights and up through the big league... yep! College football (Roll Tide!) we take it dead serious!

sandpat 04-07-2011 04:50 PM

LOL...yes honey, these are spot on...all of them! LOL

MaryAnna 04-07-2011 04:52 PM

Being a transplant some 23 yrs ago, I'd have to say that is right on the money! And yes, I too needed a translator when I first arrived! My ex husband was from the South, and his younger brother really had a strong drawl, his favorite saying 'can you carry me to the stow'? What?! He meant, can I have a ride to the store. My ex had to translate that one....LOL!
Blessings,
MaryAnna

Melody 04-07-2011 05:03 PM

Me too. On my first trip to southern Alabama to visit the family several years ago, we went through a fast food drive thru. I was driving and gave the order. After the third time of being asked to repeat my order, they said just come on up to the window. I've learned how to talk since then. :mrgreen:

Originally Posted by Jill
I married a Southern boy and between him and his parents I've slowly come to understand alot of what they say! On my first trip we were in a fast food place and the man ahead of me at the soft drink machine was having trouble. He turned to me and said something like "it's foamin all over the flow." I said pardon me and he repeated it. I looked at my fiance and he said "it's foaming all over the floor." The family still teases me about that one!

damaquilts 04-07-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
well god and Football are on a level plain. we praise god and then kick off the ball. every thursday and friday nights. being jr high on thursday and Sr High on fridays

well now I know why I could never be a Southern gal even after 20 + years. I hate football. LOL

Diana Lynne 04-07-2011 05:06 PM

being a Southern woman..Yep, to all :lol:

Navy Wife 04-07-2011 05:16 PM

Oh my, Darlin 121! We may have to have some SEC fights here! I love my Dawgs, but in the next state over I have to yell War Eagle!

dpparris 04-07-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by darlin121
As a true southern belle I can testify that all of the above is true HOWEVER not enough was said about football. Now football is not a sport down south, its more of a religion. From pee-wee football to High school ball on Friday nights and up through the big league... yep! College football (Roll Tide!) we take it dead serious!

At some places they play football, in Alabama we LIVE it!! ROLL TIDE!