Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Spring birds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/spring-birds-t220693.html)

Bobbielinks 05-04-2013 09:11 AM

Spring birds

4 Attachment(s)
A week or so ago I posted pictures of a fat cardinal and goldfinches. But, today I want to show you pictures that were taken just a couple of days ago of a Baltimore Oriole that really loves the sugarwater I set out for the hummers; (and yes, we have 5 hummers here drinking sugarwater from a snow covered feeder) a Indigo Bunting, Goldfinch and a female Cardinal feeding from one of the feeders; a Rosebreasted Grosbeek hiding in a tree above our deck; and a little downy woodpecker enjoying beef suet that I get from alocal butcher. Can't believe it's May 4th and we had 1 1/2 inches of snowon the ground here in SW Missouri yesterday. Global warming? it feels more like the iceage.

luvstoquilt 05-04-2013 09:35 AM

Fabulous photos...

quiltingshe 05-04-2013 09:43 AM

You must have a good camera to get those great shots. Very interesting.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 05-04-2013 09:51 AM

Enjoyed your pictures!

QuiltnNan 05-04-2013 01:22 PM

beautiful birds! i'd love to lounge in your yard.

NikkiLu 05-04-2013 01:28 PM

Hi fellow SHO-ME state bird feeder! A hint for your Baltimore Orioles - they LOVE grape jelly. We put out cups with a little grape jelly in them and the eat it. We use those yellow cups from the tops of detergent bottles, etc. - it must be yellow - and put a spoonful of grape jelly in them until they find it - then can put a bit more in in after they find it. Yes, it does attract bees but we have found that the red Summer Tanagers also eat the jelly but also eat the bees. Quite a sight! We keep the jelly out during the summer to attract the Summer Tanagers - the Baltimore Orioles don't stay here all summer though. HTH

MamaBear61 05-04-2013 01:31 PM

The feathered friends around your place are wonderful.

Pollytink 05-04-2013 01:48 PM

I would LOVE to have an Indigo Bunting come! Don't know if they're in Ohio or not. I've thought about putting some orange halves out to draw the Oriole's--would that work? Don't have any hummer feeders up yet. I love watching them out the only window I can really see out of well....over my desk in the ofc/sewing room. My neighbor has a cat that she's started to let out again and yesterday I think he tried to jump up on my big feeder...glanced up and saw it swinging and he was at the bottom. She says she can't keep him in because he throws a fit. If he kills a bird I'll be the one throwing a fit!!! Ever since one of our cats was hit by a car years ago I've been a fanatic about cats not being outside. It's just not safe, esp in a city.

quiltsRfun 05-04-2013 02:03 PM

I'm jealous. All we have in my back yard ar sparrows and starlings with the occasional duck that wanders in from the park down the road.

JaniceP 05-04-2013 02:03 PM

I love those birds! We only had the Indigo Bunting once that I know of. We get all the other birds you have shown. Enjoy! The Indigo Bunting was attracted to the Dandelion blooms that had gone to seed. They stayed for a couple of days and feasted!