Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Squaring Knit Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/squaring-knit-fabric-t297753.html)

Manalto 06-21-2018 04:07 AM

Squaring Knit Fabric?

I'm restoring an old house and just removed bookcases that were blocking three double casement windows. The light and ventilation are great, but now I feel like I'm in Macy's window, especially at night. So, to have a little privacy, I got a traverse rod and picked up some fabric to make draperies. The fabric I got is a fine polyester knit. The person who cut it appears to have done a good job cutting it straight, however, since it will be draperies, I'd like to be sure it's cut perfectly square. I know how to find the lengthwise "grain" (if you call it that in a knit fabric) but have no idea how to square the end to measure the panels.

Do you know a technique for cutting knit fabric to be sure the end is square?

selm 06-21-2018 07:17 AM

Sorry, I can't answer your question about squaring the fabric but I am wondering if the knit fabric will be too stretchy for curtains? Won't the weight of the fabric hanging from the rod cause it to stretch?

Prism99 06-21-2018 07:51 AM

Knit fabric usually stretches one way more than another. You definitely want to hang the fabric so the strongest grain is going up and down. You should be able to tell which grain is stretchiest by pulling the fabric both lengthwise and crosswise. For a knit fabric, I would think determining which way to hang it is more important than squaring it.

To square it, I think you need to lay the fabric out flat on a large surface (such as a floor, preferably a tile floor so that you have straight lines) and then use a large metal T-square (hardware stores sell them) to mark.

Edit: I do not have experience with draperies. Are you planning to pleat the fabric at the top? Are you planning on lining them? Are they going to be long or short? Just wondering.....

Manalto 06-21-2018 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by selm (Post 8079797)
Sorry, I can't answer your question about squaring the fabric but I am wondering if the knit fabric will be too stretchy for curtains? Won't the weight of the fabric hanging from the rod cause it to stretch?

What would you suggest, Sally?

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 8079831)
Edit: I do not have experience with draperies. Are you planning to pleat the fabric at the top? Are you planning on lining them? Are they going to be long or short? Just wondering.....

I'm not sure how answering these questions you're wondering about will help me with my problem, but just in case it might, here goes:

They will be pinch pleated.

They will not be lined.

They will be 56" in length; it's hard for me to say whether that's considered short or long.

I do have experience with draperies and curtains; I've made them for many, many windows. Where I possess a lack of experience is working with knit -- and polyester, for that matter. (I use, almost exclusively, natural fibers but for this application polyester is the best choice.) Even if it stretches a foot, that would be OK. It's something of an experiment, but I don't want to be sloppy about assembling them.

tranum 06-21-2018 12:29 PM

Put the two selvages together, now you have 2 layers of fabric. Hold up using both hands about 24” apart. Is the fold hanging straight ? If not, with fingers, move just one layer either left or right until fold is flat and smooth. Lay fabric down and recut the edge. Then commence with your project.

QuiltE 06-21-2018 02:45 PM

I'm not sure if you are asking the same question as what we are thinking you are meaning ....

IF you are simply squaring the fabric cut edge to the selvage, you are going to do it the same as with other fabrics. Explained well in a previous post.

IF you are asking about squaring the fabric so that the lengthwise and crosswise grains are at right angles, then different story! For regular cottons, you can pull it diagonally to get it squared up. Though the question is always, will it stay there? For a knit .... I don't think you can do that. You just need to live with the knit going on a slant, and go back to how to square it up for a right angle irrespective of the knit angle.

I'm with the others, not so sure that knit fabrics are going to work for curtains, especially when pinch pleated and with as much weight as will be created by the length of the curtains and whatever the width.

However, you have noted you are quite experienced in drapery making, so I am sure you can figure it out, even with it being an experiment as you have mentioned.

Manalto 06-21-2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8079966)
Put the two selvages together, now you have 2 layers of fabric. Hold up using both hands about 24” apart. Is the fold hanging straight ? If not, with fingers, move just one layer either left or right until fold is flat and smooth. Lay fabric down and recut the edge. Then commence with your project.

Thank you, tranum! That's what I was looking for.

For woven fabrics I pull a thread for a precise, square edge. It's worth the bother.

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8080000)

I'm with the others, not so sure that knit fabrics are going to work for curtains, especially when pinch pleated and with as much weight as will be created by the length of the curtains and whatever the width.

If I'm not discouraged by my own uncertainty, I certainly won't be by yours.

bearisgray 06-21-2018 03:08 PM

Some knits stretch a lot - some barely stretch at all.

Manalto 06-21-2018 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8080013)
Some knits stretch a lot - some barely stretch at all.

That's true. Nobody asked about the fabric I have.

QuiltE 06-21-2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Manalto (Post 8080005)
........If I'm not discouraged by my own uncertainty, I certainly won't be by yours.

WOW! From your replies to myself and others, it appears that you already have the knowledge and answers without even asking us. I guess you could say, I really didn't say anything more than what others did ...... but so be it. Good Luck with your experiment, as you called it.