Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Stop the Sewing Room Madness of 'Stuff'! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/stop-sewing-room-madness-stuff-t28990.html)

Scissor Queen 11-19-2009 02:12 PM

Buy a package of mini padlocks and use them thru the handles of your scissors. Just don't forget where you put the key.

MadQuilter 11-19-2009 02:16 PM

I caught DH once whacking at a piece of leather with my Ginghers and the rotary cutter. We had a little chat. I pointed out to him that I ask him before I use any of his tools and I make sure to use the tools as intended - something I consider a courtesy. Then I told him that he is using my tools incorrectly. Now he asks.

Knot Sew 11-19-2009 03:20 PM

I spent three days throwing out junk and still more to go...I do not want pieces of fabric people have left from their projects...I took out two huge bags... and lots of stuffing from old pillows. an old bed against the wall thats just starters :roll: :roll: :roll:

Chele 11-19-2009 03:38 PM

I kind of like that leftover fabric Ruth. It's always fun to see what everyone is using. And if there are some vintage pieces, that would thrill me. I love old fabric. I love the new stuff, but that old fabric is so clasic!

BellaBoo 11-19-2009 04:02 PM

DH used my good scissors in his shop one day, I bought THREE of the expensive scissors and one cheaper pair. Believe it or not, he and the kids thought since the one pair was the only one of the kind and the others were alike, the one pair was much better scissors. My sewing room now has a lock on the door so when I'm not in there the room is locked. I have small kids in the house sometimes and I don't want them finding scissors, pins, or rotary cutters.

Catlady 11-19-2009 04:14 PM

No goes in my sewing room except me and the cats. No one dares.
Heaven help anyone who uses my scissors, they know better, (I won't
kill them but they'll sure wish I had).
I have my own tool box too. Got tired of hubby borrowing my tools and
not returning them or losing them. He won't go into my pink tool box.
The dining room table is another story. Barely enough to eat on.

barnbum 11-19-2009 06:24 PM

hubby came in while I was using my good scissors- he was impressed with them. I quickly put them in their box and out of his reach. He whined and I let him touch them- but he was warned of bodily harm if he EVER decides to use them without proper supervision.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No goes in my sewing room except me
Same as me--it's kind of small and filled with all sewing items--wooden ladders with strips... shelves of fabric--machine--ironing board--everyone is scared to go in there. There's not really room for more than one person. :wink:

sewgull 11-19-2009 06:51 PM

Growing up there where certains thing that you did not touch. My mother's sewing scissors and her purse. When she passed away my sisters and I divided her sewing things, but just sit and looked at her purse. What do we do now. We laughed and cried, still don't know what to do with her purse. Now that Dad has passed away we now have his wallet to laugh and cry over. And wonder what do we do. I guess you can tell we loved our parents and did as we were told to do,(most of the time).

My family knows that bodily harm will come to whoever uses my sewing sicissors.

Bev 11-19-2009 07:41 PM

After years of using the dining room table for both cutting AND sewing on, I finally have my own room. Had to wait for all the kids to grow up and move out. My husband respects my space as much as I try! to respect his tool area, in the garage. Although I do admit to borrowing some of his screwdrivers, etc, I always put them back in the same place. My only gripe is that sometimes one of my daughters or granddaughters will use my scissors for cutting jeans legs or whatever, never anything but fabric. However they tend to leave the scissors out along with the scraps of the things they came over to cut. I reprimand them for this and they usually say, "but I thought you liked to have scraps given to you." I do, but only when they are neat, tidy scraps. The bottom line is, I think I have them pretty well trained at this point, but it took a while.

Janstar 11-19-2009 07:41 PM

When we moved to this place I finally got my own sewing room. Next thing I know the computer desk moved in and all the accompanying items then an extra tv and that's when I put a stop to anything else going in there! Having fits really work sometimes!! Everyone learned the hard way about using sewing scissors to. I just said if you ruin them You can buy me a new pair!!