Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Stupid stupid Iron!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/stupid-stupid-iron-t34771.html)

Jim's Gem 01-21-2010 07:28 PM

I am so frustrated. My Iron just died. I finally have a day when I can sew with little pain and my iron dies!!!!!
I don't think I have even had this one a year. It is a Black and Decker Steam Express. It had been leaking and spitting water for a while but today I noticed that it wasn't getting very hot. The auto off died a couple months ago, but that didn't bother me, I hated the auto off feature.
Now it won't even heat up!!! Dh is out for a couple more hours this evening and I could have gotten in a couple more hours of sewing but........ Stupid Iron!!!!!
I think he took the car. All that's left here is a 35 year old truck that I hate to drive and it's pouring rain. I guess I will have to stop at Target or something tomorrow after work.
GRRRRRR!!!!
Sorry, just had to vent!!!

littlehud 01-21-2010 07:53 PM

That is so frustrating. Just when everything is right for sewing something like that happens.

shaverg 01-21-2010 08:01 PM

What is it with all the iron trouble. There have been alot of iron threads lately. It seems there is no real good iron out there. People love Rowenta, people hate Rowenta, people love shark and hate shark. Many love their Black and Deckers and I swore never to buy a Black and Decker again. Good luck getting another iron. I am in Castaic, California and the weather is dreadful. Be careful if you go out.

montanaquilter 01-21-2010 08:26 PM

mine died on monday! it wasn't a cheap one either-i didn't have it a year either! i was so pissed, paid 50.00 for the darn thing and boom doesn't heat up one day!! no leaking or anything-was working just fine the day before. went out on monday and bought a cheap one! figured if it lasts as long as the more expensive one then i can buy a new one every year!!!

JJs 01-21-2010 08:46 PM

just don't buy it at wallyworld...
have you noticed that irons don't have a 'sharp' point there?
I haven't looked for an iron for awhile since my old one is working great (knock on wood) but did buy one to give to the lady who drives us to guild - and it didn't have a sharp point either... sheesh...

Jim's Gem 01-21-2010 08:56 PM

My quilt shop has a Reliable brand Iron. They claim that it is a great iron, better than Rowenta. they have it on sale for $130. Do I buy another cheap iron, or do I try the expensive one in hopes that it will work great for the next 5-10 years? I don't know. I don't want to buy a $60 one to have it die!!!

shaverg 01-21-2010 08:59 PM

If it is your local shop maybe it would be easier to return if there is a problem. I wonder if you can buy extended warranty on irons. Is that the shop in Ventura?

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
My quilt shop has a Reliable brand Iron. They claim that it is a great iron, better than Rowenta. they have it on sale for $130. Do I buy another cheap iron, or do I try the expensive one in hopes that it will work great for the next 5-10 years? I don't know. I don't want to buy a $60 one to have it die!!!

Jim's Gem 01-21-2010 09:04 PM

Actually the shop is Baron's Fabrics and it is here in Camarillo, less than a mile from my home.

In fact the shop is closer than going to Target or even K-Mart.

Jim's Gem 01-21-2010 09:06 PM

Of course convincing my DH that I need a $130 iron might be another matter entirely!

shaverg 01-21-2010 09:11 PM

I did not know about Baron's, I will have to check it out the next time I am over your way.

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Actually the shop is Baron's Fabrics and it is here in Camarillo, less than a mile from my home.

In fact the shop is closer than going to Target or even K-Mart.