Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   suggestion for seat belt needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/suggestion-seat-belt-needed-t135109.html)

sewnsewer2 07-04-2011 06:49 AM

My seat belt chokes me. I have been using a clothes pin up at the top. Does anyone have any ideas what I can make that will help keep it from rubbing on my neck? I sometimes lose my clothes pin :(

Will a seat belt cover keep it off my neck?

Thanks.

dakotamaid 07-04-2011 06:51 AM

Dawn, does it adjust at the top by the door frame?, if so just slide the clip down. If not you can purchase a clip that holds the chest strap down to the lap portion. However, this is not recommended. I would suggest a lambswool or other soft fabric to sew around the strap where it rubs. (I have the same problem. :)

donnajean 07-04-2011 06:59 AM

Would it help if you sat on a cushion to raise you up higher?

sewnsewer2 07-04-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Dawn, does it adjust at the top by the door frame?, if so just slide the clip down. If not you can purchase a clip that holds the chest strap down to the lap portion. However, this is not recommended. I would suggest a lambswool or other soft fabric to sew around the strap where it rubs. (I have the same problem. :)

I do have it down, I am 5'1 and even if I sit on a pillow (which is why I bought this car, because I don't need a pillow :D ) it still chokes me :(

dakotamaid 07-04-2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

I do have it down, I am 5'1 and even if I sit on a pillow (which is why I bought this car, because I don't need a pillow :D ) it still chokes me :(

Oh uggg! Ok, get some of that stuff they call sheepskin, fake or real, and make a cover for your strap, you can velcro it on, it will feel soft and won't rub too bad. The other thing I have done on long trips is to scoot myself over the seat to the right as far as possible and still feel comfortable driving. :)

eastermarie 07-04-2011 07:53 AM

My DH has this problem and he is 5'11". It is something about where on your neck that seatbelt hits. He tried all the adjustments possible, even the sheep wooly thing, now he drives with his left hand hold out the belt a little ways from his lap which pulls it out from his neck. I'm 5'8" and it hits my neck in a bad spot toowhen I drive, but not so much when I ride on the other side.

isnthatodd 07-04-2011 07:55 AM

I have the same problem. I spend a lot of time pulling it away from my neck. I am going to make a lambswool shield, but all that will do is make it soft, not stop the placement.

Boopers 07-04-2011 08:04 AM

You can buy the sheepskin covers. I have one and it really made a difference.

redhawk 07-04-2011 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've made these for family and friends and they all love them. I adjusted the size to fit each person ranging from 4' 11" to 6'.

The changes I made from this pattern were:
1. All my front pieces were single piece fabrics in the person's favorite item, ie: animal, flower, etc.
2. Used 1/4" foam instead of batting/wadding.
3. Made the length (long edge) 11" to start with. The width according to person size but most started as 9".

What everyone likes best is the extra "flap" where the velcro comes together because they can either leave it resting against shoulder/arm or flip it under for extra lift.

Hope this is helpful :D

Glassquilt 07-04-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
help keep it from rubbing on my neck?

I have the same problem. This works for me. The gadget changes the position of the shoulder strap.

http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKim...tID=0000056630