Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Suggestions for gift basket auction - not sewing related (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/suggestions-gift-basket-auction-not-sewing-related-t270546.html)

sparkys_mom 10-01-2015 03:43 AM

Okay, go to Amazon and search "Biography of Musicians" and "History of Music". You will get a lot of returns and you should be able to find one or two items in whatever price range suits you.

OhCanada 10-01-2015 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam (Post 7332071)
I know it has only been a couple of hours since my initial post, but the comments I have gotten confirm my thinking of the past week - this is hard! I want something that will appeal to more than other choir members since we are raising funds for some worthy charities.

I am am going to call the choir president and suggest we do a Halloween basket. The auction will be a week before Halloween, and I bet that will go over well. Of course, if anyone has more wonderful ideas for a music basket, keep suggesting!

Pam

If you limit the contents of the basket to music related items then you will also limit the number of people who will be interested in bidding on it, no? I think you are on the right track to make it more generic. Dinner for 2 at a nice restaurant would appeal to almost anyone.

Bubbie 10-01-2015 05:11 AM

Do you have a music shop in the area? You could get them to donate a gift card. Music gift cards to down load music. Make napkins and put in glasses and a bottle of Sparkling Cider (or wine - not sure how your church feels about drinking), along with cheese and crackers. I would also have to look at some kind of chocolate too. Talk to a local restaurant about a gift card, you could also do the same with a local dance studio (for a free dance lesson). Good luck

Wanabee Quiltin 10-01-2015 06:07 AM

I know you want it musical related, but I think that one is a little difficult too. How about wonderful coffee mugs with hot chocolate, fancy coffee or teas inside. Good chocolate bars, maybe a CD to listen to while they eat it. Candles, bars of perfumed soap. I'm thinking of music that calms the soul while taking a bath or sitting down resting. When my husband retired, a good friend brought him a basket that contained 2 Cokes, a Clint Eastwood movie, chips and jelly beans.

bearisgray 10-01-2015 07:11 AM

A copy of the church hymnal?

Gift certificates are nice - but they don't "fill" a basket up very much - even if they have a high $ value.

greensleeves 10-01-2015 07:18 AM

Scented wax cubes and the electric container that uses them. Not too expensive and many scents are available.

rjwilder 10-01-2015 07:48 AM

I would not bid on a music theme basket. Music is a personal thing, we all have different tastes. I would stick with a Halloween theme, or any other upcoming holiday. I would also avoid anything scented, many people have allergies. Candles can be a hazard to people, and pets. I suggest items that could easily be used in most homes even on a temporary basis like holidays. At the very least the items in the basket could be re-gifted to several people. I would bid on a basket with holiday themed kitchen towels, small photo frame, a few decorations, for Halloween maybe the basket could be an inexpensive candy dish. Take a quick look down the Halloween aisle and you'll gets lots of ideas.

BCM 10-01-2015 10:15 AM

I think Lynnie and Wannabee have great suggestions!!

CanoePam 10-01-2015 11:42 AM

We had a discussion last night at rehearsal, and we are going with an autumn theme basket to increase the audience. Since the whole purpose is to raise money for some worthy charities, we really want something with a broad appeal.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and help.

Pam

bearisgray 10-01-2015 11:45 AM

Autumn/Thanksgiving will be much easier to think of things -

Potholders? Kitchen towels? Dishcloths? Scrubbies?