Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Support for Oklahoma tornado victims (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/support-oklahoma-tornado-victims-t221940.html)

tildiemae 05-20-2013 07:36 PM

Support for Oklahoma tornado victims

My heart goes out to all those affected by these devastating tornadoes. We had a few anxious hours before we knew our daughter, son-in-law and grand daughter were ok but how heartbreaking for those who didn't receive good news. Is there a way we can reach out to the people who are affected through this board? Prayer is my first action but I'm ready to sew!

lovequilts 05-20-2013 07:56 PM

I made pillow cases for the school shooting back east. There was a post on FB from a LQS that was receiving them. I haven't seen anything posted their yet.

Scissor Queen 05-20-2013 09:25 PM

To be honest, the last thing most disaster areas need is stuff. Imagine having several miles of city obliterated and then being inundated with used clothes, shoes, bedding, toys, etc, etc and having to find places to store truck load after truck load of stuff when what you really need is money to feed people.

dakotamaid 05-21-2013 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6076353)
To be honest, the last thing most disaster areas need is stuff. Imagine having several miles of city obliterated and then being inundated with used clothes, shoes, bedding, toys, etc, etc and having to find places to store truck load after truck load of stuff when what you really need is money to feed people.

I agree, donate CASH to the Oklahoma red cross, that is what is needed right now. Quilts can come later.

HillCountryGal 05-21-2013 02:45 AM

Personally, I support the Salvation Army.
However, anyway a person chooses to give aid I know it will be appreciated.

At this point in time, "things" are not what's needed. Anyone living close to Moore, Oklahoma would have a better handle on what's appropriate. Possibly someone from that area will weigh-in on this for us.

SingerSewer 05-21-2013 03:03 AM

Just heard on the local news that cash donations are best. The Red Cross spokesman said all of the agencies are doing all they can and while they appreciate all donations they appreciate cash because they can purchase what is needed immediately. The devastation is immense and the loss of life is horrible. They are still looking for children at one of the schools (as many as 20 - 30 still missing and believed to be in the rubble.) Thunderstorms are headed for the affected areas.
Please pray for the folks who had losses and for the responders who are searching for survivors. So many people have lost their homes then the loss of lives is unbelievable. Plenty of warning but the storms were so strong that places that should have been safe were not.

running1 05-21-2013 08:38 AM

Both the Red Cross and the Salvation Army are prepared to receive your cash donations in Ok, and yes, that is what is needed most right now...

And thank you everyone for your prayers! Our state is small, and most of us have some contact with someone in this tragedy, my family included... So while I'm not right there, I thank you on behalf of all Oklahomans!!

nonda 05-22-2013 03:53 AM

I have typed response after response to this thread and just can't get it right. As an Oklahoman through and through, we are all suffering with our fellow Okies. I do know that many supplies (that are needed immediately) are getting to the people that need them; and I know firsthand, that this will continue cuz' thats just what we do. :)

What I don't think everyone realizes, is that the day before the Moore tornado, other tornadoes ripped through central Oklahoma and a couple of very small towns were completely destroyed and major damage done to a couple of other towns. With that being said, there is no comparison to the loss of so many of our babies in Moore.

Thank you from another Oklahoman and please keep us in your prayers.

kyquiltlover1942 05-22-2013 04:10 AM

I agree with Scissor Queen, Cash is needed now, and I believe quilts would be more welcomed later. Especially for the little ones, that have lost their "treasures" A quilt to move into their new room, would make it their own.

SingerSewer 05-22-2013 04:40 AM

Central Oklahoma was also hit by tornadoes on Sunday. Two people lost their lives and twenty one injured when tornadoes hit the Bethel Acres, Dale, Twin Lakes areas and Shawnee. People lost their homes in a line from east of Edmond east to Wellston. The news is focusing on the Moore area which was a much larger area but others in Oklahoma are suffering as well.
Please remember the other areas as well as the Moore area in your prayers for comfort and recovery.