Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Surgery tomorrow (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/surgery-tomorrow-t128158.html)

Nancy Ingham 06-06-2011 05:17 AM

You have some great ideas here and I am sure you will find one of them is the best method for you. I also use a start button on my Janome. Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. ((Hugs))

karenpatrick 06-06-2011 05:21 AM

I never use my foot pedal. Always the on/off button. I'm a former runner too, but have not had bunions...yet. My problem is degenerative disk disease. But I still miss running and I guess I always will. Can you put a chair or stool under your sewing table to elevate your foot so your foot and still sew? Just a thought.

teacherbailey 06-06-2011 07:11 AM

I learned to sew using my righthand for the foot pedal (I had more control that way than using my foot!) and my left hand to guide fabric. You could do it this way, I think---

Mona Marie 06-06-2011 08:26 AM

Prayaers for a good surgery and hope that you can sew.

smagruder 06-06-2011 09:08 AM

Place your foot pedal up on the table and run it by hand. Good luck on the surgery. I hear bunions are so very painful.

greaterexp 06-06-2011 09:51 AM

We'll be praying for a swift recovery! You'll probably find out just how creative you can be while recuperating.

Mickey1 06-06-2011 10:10 AM

I had the same surgery just 3 weeks ago so I'm still healing. Like you, I thought I would do some applique and try to get interested in handwork. However, I spent most of the time on this message board! It was so much more fun than applique and handwork for me!

After about ten days I decided to try to use the sewing machine. You will have a stiff velcro shoe to wear whenever you are up to go to the restroom. I was able to push the pedal of the machine using that shoe. You can't do it for long because after awhile you will need to put your foot up again.

Now that I'm in the "boot" which is a big heavy thing, it's a little trickier, but I'm still managing. Once you get the balance of how much pressure and where to put your foot on the pedal it's much easier.

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions on the foot thing and sewing!

Quilter2B 06-06-2011 10:24 AM

Lots of great recommendations; good luck with your surgery. Hope you are back at your machine in no time!

arimuse 06-06-2011 02:50 PM

This will sound stupid, but I sew with my machine on the floor - have for many yrs now, it doesnt hurt my back like bending over a machine on a table. I usually run the foot pedal with my knee, sometimes with one hand, sometimes I sit on one leg or the other and run the pedal with an extended foot. sharet

montanajan 06-06-2011 03:01 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Had a bunionectomy & removal of a Morton's neuroma (tumor) under foot several years ago - just did hand work & cross stitch & reading during recovery. I found it cumbersome to try & use pedal with my hand; hadn't thought of putting it under my rear! LOL