Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   swaddle blankets inexpensive (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/swaddle-blankets-inexpensive-t298231.html)

Grace creates 07-13-2018 09:23 AM

swaddle blankets inexpensive

I trying to make those gauze swaddle blankets for my upcoming grandchild. Trying to keep the cost down a bit. Recommendations as to where to purchase inexpensive gauze, a soft cotton knit and or quilting fabric online. Thanks.

QuiltNama 07-13-2018 12:12 PM

Grace, when my twin gds were born I went on a hunt for gauze like you. Found it in several shops and it was pricey. Found packaged swaddle blankets at Tues. morning, Target and TJ Maxx for far less than I could make them. So I opted to make other items. Sorry I wasn't more help. Brenda

madamekelly 07-14-2018 12:21 PM

Walmart yesterday had some “double gauze” on sale for $4 per yard. Check your local store?

suern3 07-14-2018 01:56 PM

Just got back from Hobby Lobby and they have gauze fabric, some with baby prints. I didn't look real closely, just noticed they have it. Always HL 40% coupons to use.

bakermom 07-14-2018 02:18 PM

I bought some to make swaddle blankets for my last GC. Not fun to work with. I wouldn't do it again. Around here a lot of the quilt stores are carrying it. Watch if you do decide to buy some, because of it's loose weave it tends to pull funny on the bolt and you won't get a nice cut if the cutter isn't paying attention

suern3 07-14-2018 03:08 PM

Just a side thought- does anyone know what it is that the new moms like the gauze wraps? Or is it just a fun trend, which is fine, just curious. In imho, it is hard to beat flannel receiving blankets for swaddling. They also work great for grabbing quickly to catch spit-up and lay down for a changing spot. I made a couple for one of my DGD and soon her mom called and said could I please send some more. I just used a yard of flannel and sewed a hem around the edge, usually Joann's flannel. Cute prints and good prices. They aren't meant to be heirloom quality:)

retiredteacher09 07-14-2018 04:45 PM

I used flannel when I made a swaddle blanket. I haven't had a chance to talk to the grandma that I gave it to yet to see if it worked for the baby. I had a pattern for it.

Chris G 07-15-2018 06:16 AM

After researching the swaddle blankets, I found out that the most preferred ones were made of the double gauze. The only reasons I can think of for the recent popularity of them is they are light weight 100% cotton. Here in Arizon, and very good thing

suern3 07-15-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris G (Post 8094406)
After researching the swaddle blankets, I found out that the most preferred ones were made of the double gauze. The only reasons I can think of for the recent popularity of them is they are light weight 100% cotton. Here in Arizon, and very good thing

Chris, thanks, that makes sense.

Cari-in-Oly 07-15-2018 06:53 PM

My GD just had a preemie so everything has to be really soft on his delicate skin. I had some soft flannel that I made receiving blankets from, but by far the softest flannel I found to use was some old flannel sheets. I got 4 big blankets out of each sheet.

Cari