Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tablets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tablets-t237481.html)

quilterj 12-26-2013 06:20 PM

Tablets

What is the difference between tablets,
Kindles and nooks? Can you do all the same things on each of them? What one is the best? Would like to get a tablet or laptop. Husband has a game
that he has to use the CD in the computer so not sure if I can get rid of the desk top like I wanted to.

QuiltnLady1 12-26-2013 07:46 PM

I have the kindle touch and the kindle fire hdx7. The nook can read book through Barnes and Noble and the kindle has access to books (and movies/videos) from Amazon. The HDX can also watch movies (Amazon has a bunch of free ones) and it has great sound for movies. I will not get rid of my laptop (nor will DH abandon his desktop just because he has a tablet), we are just too vested in using Word, Excel and fancy photo stuff -- as well as there being some limits about going to some web sites (I have trouble with Quilting board, for instance on both the HDX and the windows tablet).

Tartan 12-26-2013 08:16 PM

It depends on what you want it for. If you want to do office things then a lap top is still the best for that in my opinion. If you want to read books than a kindle or similar would be fine. I have an iPad and I love it however I don't need to type or save large documents. The iPad works for me to access all Google or Safari sites. I can use it to take pictures and post to QB. I have several games apps that I enjoy. I can watch Bonnie Hunter's QuiltCam on it in my sewing room. I can watch youtube videos........it all depends what your needs are.

Peckish 12-26-2013 10:14 PM

Tartan is right - it all depends on what you want to do.

My husband has an iPad, but we both agree it's more of a toy than a useful work tool. He originally wanted to use it for work; doing presentations, taking notes, etc. But it doesn't come anywhere near having the functionality of a laptop.

I had one of the earlier versions of a Kindle (before I cracked the screen), all you could do on it was read books. However, I believe some of the the newer generations of Kindles have internet and gaming capabilities, which would place them in the same category as iPads.

It comes down to what kind of operating system the machine is running and what you want to do. If you want to browse the internet, check Facebook, Quilting Board, and other websites, and play games, a tablet will work fine.

I use software such as Photoshop and Electric Quilt, and create presentations and spreadsheets. Software is increasingly available for use in the cloud, but I decided I wanted the functionality of a laptop.

I suggest you go down to Best Buy and do some side-by-side comparisons of Kindles, tablets, and iPads. Ask the sales associate to explain and show you in simple, non-technical terms what each one does.

quilterj 12-27-2013 01:51 AM

Thank you every one. I don't do much with the computor already except to download pics
check mail and banking and of course surfing and visiting the quiltingboard. I used to want
a small laptop to use in the sewing room so when I needed help I wouldn't have to keep
running in the other room. When we first got our computor I used to download pics alot
and do things with them. A few years later now about 5-6 yrs I'm not doing much with that.
And having the smartphone been taking more pics with the phone than my camera unless
we go on vacations. I guess because the tablets are so popular now I am kind of wanting
one. The bible is the only book I read. So I guess I wouldn't be getting getting it for reading
and I only have word search on my phone that I rarely do. Well I think I may have already
figured out sounds like a small laptop would be sufficient. But still am going to go and compare
them. Not going to get one anytime soon but still want to explore.

NJ Quilter 12-27-2013 03:02 AM

I went through the same questions a few months ago. I did buy a Samsung tablet as it was preloaded with MS Word, Excel and powerpoint. I wanted something portable so I could access a work excel file if I was away from home for several hours during busy times and wanted to be able to access online weather info on the go. I can read books on it; access internet; get email, etc. It's not the easiest to type but does have a bluetooth keyboard available. It also can use an SD card (similar to cameras) for file storage or up/downloading. I like it. But am not getting rid of the laptop or desktop at all. All 3 have their advantages/disadvantages. I don't have a smart phone and don't pay for a data plan on the phone or the tablet so I need to rely on public networks for internet access when I am away from home but that's okay for me.

mighty 12-27-2013 06:36 AM

I so agree it depends on what you want to use it for.

Peckish 12-27-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj (Post 6476032)
Well I think I may have already figured out sounds like a small laptop would be sufficient. But still am going to go and compare them. Not going to get one anytime soon but still want to explore.

You may be surprised at how affordable some of these laptops will be. My previous laptop was purchased for me by my husband, and it was about $1000. When it died, I told him I didn't want to spend that kind of money again, and we found the laptop I have now for $350. It does what I need it to do just as well as the $1000 laptop did. My husband's iPad was $800 and has less functionality (fortunately, we didn't pay for it, he won it in a competition at work). Check Costco and Best Buy. They sell "student" laptops; they are basic laptops in the $300 price range.

d.rickman 12-28-2013 05:27 AM

You might want to check this out: from www.buzzfeed.com (here's hoping it works)

www.file:///C:/Users/User/Pictures/mind-blowing-tricks-every-iphone-and-ipad-user-should-kno.htm

ladydukes 12-28-2013 06:53 AM

You can read books on a tablet as well. I subscribed to Book Bub (free) and download freebies to my home computer, then transfer them to my tablet when I want to read them (would work the same with a Kindle). The reason I do that is to keep my tablet from having too many books on it at a time. With Book Bub, they come from Amazon as well as Kindle. With Book Bub, you set up your preferences as to what you want them to email you on a daily basis, and you can pick and choose, or delete the email. Personally, I've never purchased a single book - I don't see the need... And, you can "check" books out of libraries as well.