Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Taking Vitamin D (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/taking-vitamin-d-t60458.html)

Gramma B 08-21-2010 05:32 AM

My doc also told me to take Vitamin D; I'm not so tired anymore.

grannypat7925 08-21-2010 06:21 AM

I used to have an issue with periodic depression. I now take 2000 units of Vit. D every day and have noticed a huge difference. I rarely find myself being depressed anymore.

pieces 08-21-2010 06:36 AM

My doctor said to take vitamin D3 (5,000IU) because it helps the absorbtion of the calcium, which I also take.
He also said to take Vitamin K2 for the same reason.
These are taken daily. Since women have a problem with osteoporosis these will help our body to absorb more of the calcium. A urine test will show how much your body is absorbing and how much is being lost in urine.

quilter68 08-21-2010 06:43 AM

About two years ago I was diagnosed with RA. The RA Dr. took tests and gave me a script for 50,000 units a day...of Vit.D. (Yes, 50,000 units a day. I was that low.) One capsule and I was sewing instead of napping!

I am now on maintenance of 1,000 units a day and doing fine. I do have Arthritis but not that bad.

Amazing difference one little vitamin made.

damaquilts 08-21-2010 06:46 AM

My doc just did blood tests and said I needed Vit D too.He called in a prescription but I can't afford to get it filled so I am just going to take OTC D I have already. Hopefully it will work as well.

Lisanne 08-21-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
My doc just did blood tests and said I needed Vit D too.He called in a prescription but I can't afford to get it filled so I am just going to take OTC D I have already. Hopefully it will work as well.

Just realize that a prescription may be for 50,000 units and the OTC pill may only be 400 units. That's quite a difference, so don't expect anywhere near the same effect. Maybe you could take a couple of pills a day, at least.

As for not being able to afford it, some supermarket pharmacies are filling generics and such for only a small fee, $10 or less. It can't hurt to go in an ask the pharmacist if there's any way he can help you.

2manyprojects 08-21-2010 10:53 AM

I also take D, always deficient when I get a blood test, although Dr. only said 2,000 for me...

mary quite contrary 08-21-2010 10:57 AM

I was also told to take vitamin D and spend 15 minutes every day in the sun without sunscreen. Then put on the sunscreen!

Mt Glory 08-21-2010 11:32 AM

My Mom has alzeimers & her Dr. recommeded vitamin D cause it helps with memory as well.

maggiek 08-21-2010 11:43 AM

My doctor said my D was very low and said I should take it every day with my calcium/D combo. The symptom I'm looking to fix is leg and foot cramps that often get me up at night. She said it should work. I thought cramps came from low calcium and or magnesium so this was news to me. Started today.