Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Taking Vitamin D (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/taking-vitamin-d-t60458.html)

gcathie 08-22-2010 01:24 AM

My Vit D is the D3...I take it and the multi in a gummie form ...cause I have such a hard time swallowing the BIG white pills...I take them with breakfast and supper and as for the sun I have a lovely front porch that is where I sit and look at my new books or work on some projects....:-)

mawmawbeve_60 08-22-2010 05:36 AM

My Daughter told me to take it, Her Husbands friend said its good for arthritis to..

merryhare 08-22-2010 05:44 AM

Those of us who live in the deserts of Arizona don't worry too much about getting enough sun exposure. We would love some more cloudy days with rain. lower temperatures and a need for vitamin D supplementation.

Lady Diana 08-22-2010 06:39 AM

There were several articles that came out about ayear ago that showed that over 80% of Americans are low in Vitamin D.
Vitamin D helps with bones, muscle, intenstinal function and yes, your feeling of well being....and it is because we have become a society of computer users, and indoor techno junkies....My Doctor said to take at least 1,000 units per day and to try for 10 to 15 minutes of sun....He put my mother on 50,000 units per week for three months, her level was so low...she was checked this week and her levels are now normal, so he reduced her dosage to 2000 per day. My doctor told me to tell all of my friends and relatives they need to take Vitamin D.
D in TX

mack 08-22-2010 08:13 AM

How would you know if you were over dosing on vitamin D? Any symptoms?

Lisanne 08-22-2010 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by mack
How would you know if you were over dosing on vitamin D? Any symptoms?

Yes, you can overdo it, but you wouldn't overdose by takling too much at one time. It would happen gradually that you'd build up an excess.

You'd also build up a toxic level of calcium. Symptoms: "Anorexia, nausea, and vomiting can develop, often followed by polyuria, polydipsia, weakness, nervousness, pruritus, and eventually renal failure. Proteinuria, urinary casts, azotemia, and metastatic calcifications (particularly in the kidneys) can develop."

This doesn't happen from too much sun, but from too much supplement taking for months on end.

Lady Diana 08-22-2010 10:04 AM

A Normal daily dose of 1,000 is just fine every day. Per doctor.
My mother took 50,000 per week for months with no ill effects. She too, was under doctor's care because of the extemely low reading of Vitamin D in her blood. Her level is now normal...as long as she continues her daily dosage.
D in TX

JANW 08-22-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
According to my dermatologist, never, never go out without sunscreen.

With sunscreen you will not absorb vitamin D and you need 5-15 min. 3 days a week to get your allowance of vitamin D. This should not put your skin at risk for cancer. Recent studies indicate a near epidemic of vitamin D deficiencies and probably due to sun screen. google for the latest info.

Lady Diana 08-22-2010 10:18 AM

The accepted daily dose is 2,000 units per day.
Always check with your doctor when starting vitamin and minerals since they know your health history.
1000 units per day is half of the daily dose....This amount is not cause an issue with accumulation. The benefits are greater.
Those overdosing, according to medical records, were from parents overdosing their children, Seniors taking mroe than needed and adults knowinly taking doses of 100,000 per day.
A study was conducted of pregnant women where they does them with 100,000 units per day during their entire pregnancy with no ill effects on the mother or child.
D in TX

barnbum 08-22-2010 10:25 AM

I take 1000 units a day--and get hours of sun with no suncreen--so I think I'm covered.