Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   tall garden phlox question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tall-garden-phlox-question-t199370.html)

Favorite Fabrics 09-02-2012 10:50 AM

tall garden phlox question

It's been a long, hot, dry summer. My tall phlox (I have LOTS) are pretty much done blooming and what's worse is that that they all are infested with spider mites.

If I cut them down now, and put all the clippings out in the trash, would it be bad for the plants? I think that they will not resprout until spring, even if I did water and feed them. My guess is that they only send up new shoots in spring.

Related question: do you know of any systemic miticides that would work? In addition to the mites being all over the phlox, they seem to have attacked the creeping charlie (ground ivy?) weeds in my lawn. Now, I really don't care about the weeds being harmed. But I do worry that all those weeds are a reservoir for the mites.

Any ideas?

Joset 09-02-2012 01:56 PM

i use tempo on every thing and it gets every thing. When it rains you may have to
do it again once an a while.

MarLeClair 09-02-2012 03:08 PM

I'll send over the deer that are eating mine. Then you won't have a problem.

margaret53 09-03-2012 05:01 AM

I usually cut down my tall phlox when they are done blooming.

donnajean 09-03-2012 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 5485958)
It's been a long, hot, dry summer. My tall phlox (I have LOTS) are pretty much done blooming and what's worse is that that they all are infested with spider mites.

If I cut them down now, and put all the clippings out in the trash, would it be bad for the plants? I think that they will not resprout until spring, even if I did water and feed them. My guess is that they only send up new shoots in spring.

Related question: do you know of any systemic miticides that would work? In addition to the mites being all over the phlox, they seem to have attacked the creeping charlie (ground ivy?) weeds in my lawn. Now, I really don't care about the weeds being harmed. But I do worry that all those weeds are a reservoir for the mites.

Any ideas?

I have lots of tall phlox all around my property & have sharred with many neighbors. With all my perennials, as soon as they don't look nice, I cut them back. It will not hurt them & they will come back fine next spring. I have so many now that I try to cut them back before they go to seed I use a combination "Insect & Disease" control product - this year was a Spectracide product.

Favorite Fabrics 09-03-2012 07:06 AM

Donnajean, mine have been reseeding themselves too. Which is why I also have too many! Fortunately the seedlings seem to be more resistant to mildew than some of the named-variety plants that I'd purchased. I decided a couple of years ago to just dump the mildewed ones. There's no beauty in mildew...

petlover 09-03-2012 09:19 AM

I also cut mine back. About the mites, you might want to contact your extension service to see about something, preferable something that is organic. That way you are protecting the good bugs and the enviroment.

donna13350 09-03-2012 09:53 AM

You can cut them down with no ill effects on them...but spider mites can be pretty well controlled with just a strong spray of water..just spray at them with a hard stream of water from your hose and most of them will be gone.
There are new varieties on the market now that are very mildew resistant...I like them so much that I pulled out all of my older varieties and just have the newer ones now..nothing looks as bad as a plant covered in mildew!

donnajean 09-04-2012 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 5487924)
Donnajean, mine have been reseeding themselves too. Which is why I also have too many! Fortunately the seedlings seem to be more resistant to mildew than some of the named-variety plants that I'd purchased. I decided a couple of years ago to just dump the mildewed ones. There's no beauty in mildew...

The combination insect & disease control kept the fungus off the phlox this year. I spray about every 2 weeks for the ones planted in the shady areas.

Tink's Mom 09-04-2012 05:39 AM

check out something that Jerry Baker uses...I know it involves soap...but can't remember what the other product is...and then spray it on...
I like his stuff because it isn't a chemical...and with a little dog who has her nose everywhere, I try not to use the commercial stuff.