Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   teacher gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/teacher-gifts-t74821.html)

lots2do 11-07-2010 11:36 AM

I have way too many mugs too after teaching for so long. Instead of money, I'd say put it into a gift card for Staples or somewhere like that. $5.00 at Staples could get those little things that add up when you need them - post-its, markers, whiteout etc. Money would make me a little uncomfortable, not sure why.

sewgull 11-07-2010 01:54 PM

Great idea. Teachers could use this.

maryb119 11-07-2010 02:02 PM

My dear MIL taught third grade for 40 years. She made me promise that I wuld never give a mug or Christmas ornament to a teacher....she had boxes full of them. I think the card and money is a great idea. I gave a gift certificate to Borders (the book store) and the teacher loved it. Another idea is something practical like a home baked loaf of bread still warm or a platter of cookies with a tea towel. There are plenty of ideas.

barnbum 11-07-2010 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I think you have a great idea. I used to spend thousands of dollars a year of things for my classroom that wasn't in the budget. Teachers always get way too many tote bags, coffee mugs, cutsie stuff that they will never use. I applaud the practical.

Here! Here! I don't spend that much at all! Wow. But--I try to tell my students to skip giving a gift to me--I have everything I'll never need/want, unless, I tell them, they want to bring in a bale of shavings. ;) :lol: I encourage them to get a gift for the classroom--more pencils is always good! Or--a gift of writing! BUT, they usually bring in a gift for me--and a gift for the classroom. :roll:

Money would be fine with me--especially with that sweet note.

isnthatodd 11-07-2010 05:12 PM

As a teacher, I would vote for a gift card, if anything at all. I have received a wide variety of gifts over the years, many of which I had no idea what to do with, as they were very impractical. I did and do appreciate the thought behind them, though, and tried to let each student who gave me something know that I did. I am also fine with a card made by the student. Those I can put on my bulletin board behind my desk and enjoy for a long time.

kristen0112 11-07-2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJ
How about a mug rug for all those mugs? With some cash . . .

I like this idea a small handcrafted gift for the teacher along with a bit of cash.

quilter on the eastern edge 11-07-2010 05:15 PM

We were not allowed to accept cash as a gift. One thing I always wondered about though........ how come the male teachers got wine or liquor and we female teachers got bath salts or chocolates?? Talk about gender inequity!! ;)

Deb watkins 11-07-2010 05:35 PM

Gift cards to be used to purchase those things that are never in our budget is always such a nice gift to receive. I always appreciate even those who bring in the huge jug of animal crackers for snack, or simple school supplies - there are some parents who just can't afford the basics, pencils, glue sticks, crayons....

DebraK 11-07-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
We were not allowed to accept cash as a gift. One thing I always wondered about though........ how come the male teachers got wine or liquor and we female teachers got bath salts or chocolates?? Talk about gender inequity!! ;)

haha, I never knew about that.

teacherbailey 11-08-2010 03:23 AM

I'm a teacher and would LOVE it!!!!!! I get so many things that I end up passing along to friends just because I don't need another coffee mug, tote bag, etc. Or gift cards from places that I don't usually shop..... However-----the very best gift from a parent is to have your child or you write a heartfelt note telling me what I have meant to your child and thanking me for (naming them!) the things that he /she likes best about me and/or my class. Those notes will be keepsakes and last a lot longer than anything else I get.