Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   tearing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tearing-fabric-t218345.html)

heart of Dixie 04-05-2013 02:41 PM

tearing fabric

I am just curious how many of you go to quilt stores where they tear your fabic. I went to one the other day and they tore mine. I do not like it. I like the nice straight cut. I have not see this at any other shops. what is your opnion.

omacookie 04-05-2013 03:07 PM

Years ago all fabric shops did that before good scissors and the cutting wheel. I do not like it, perfer cutting. I am 77 years old

Tothill 04-05-2013 03:10 PM

I like it when it is ripped, as \i can be certain it is on grain.

Tartan 04-05-2013 03:15 PM

HATE to have my fabric ripped! I aways loose at least another 1/2 inch off the ripped sides as I trim away the distorted threads.

lisalovesquilting 04-05-2013 03:16 PM

I've only been to one where they did this. I prefer it cut.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 04-05-2013 04:09 PM

I prefer the ripping because you know you have the straight of grain and much quicker than the pull the thread method. I find that the little bit I lose is more than compensated for when the blocks cut are on the grain they fit together so nicely. They press flat like a drea - match like a dream etc. When it is cut by the store I bring it home wash it and rip one edge to get the cut I want. But in the final analysis it boils down to personal preference -- all quilts look nice when done with either method. My problem is that I am old school, completed my first stitchery in the late forties - and old habits die hard.

ging10ging 04-05-2013 04:15 PM

I like the cutting edge better. I've never been anywhere where they ripped the fabric is it something new they are doing? Sue

Annaquilts 04-05-2013 04:55 PM

I like it ripped because it is on the grain. with cutting there is often a big distortion fro the top to the bottom as they do not cut straight.

Geri B 04-06-2013 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 5980750)
I like it ripped because it is on the grain. with cutting there is often a big distortion fro the top to the bottom as they do not cut straight.

I wish they all ripped instead of cutting! One example of really off grain happened on an extra wide piece for backing...before I ironed it I saw it was a bit off....so ripped..at start of "rip" it was about 1/2",by the time I got to other edge.....almost 6"......then had to have a friend come over and "tug" opposite corners w/me to straighten it out....good thing I bought a bit extra yardage to begin with! When fab is a cut piece and I am going to cut into it for the first time I always "tug" to get those woven threads straightened out...I think the factory bolting has a lot to do with the katywompness of some fab....and the price of fab does not make it immune to this

dcamarote 04-06-2013 06:01 AM

I prefer cut fabric. I have never had anyone rip mine.