Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   tele marketers grrrrrrrr (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tele-marketers-grrrrrrrr-t175204.html)

oldlady 77 01-12-2012 09:39 AM

I act like I called them and then ask if they would send a take out order then ask about their family and tell them what the neighbors are doing and they hang up on me.....I don't understand why but it is fun.

ptquilts 01-12-2012 10:29 AM

it's fun to make them hang up on YOU!! be creative!

Debra Mc 01-12-2012 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations (Post 4863328)
I just hit the pound sign button as many times as I can until I hear a beeping noise on the other end as doing this screws up their computer system. A friend of the family who did telemarketing during college said this trick worked everytime.

Thanks, glad to know that. I have caller ID & if I'm not sure I don't answer. Magazines USA will drive you crazy. I just don't answer & if I do, I immediately hang up.

BarbaraSue 01-12-2012 12:12 PM

Another trick I heard of from my DD was to say when they asked for my DH to say to them "Sorry he's not available. Give me your number and I'll have him call you right back." They'll hang up.
Of course, if anyone is at home with you have them stand within earshot of the phone and have them yell, "'Honey, the baby's on fire! Honey, help". you hang up.
I have also acted deaf, which isn't far off, I have a hearing problem, but if you keep saying hello every few seconds, they quilt. Those usually don't call me back for some reason.
I've been on the list for no calls and it doesn't keep you from getting them. Just limits who can call. they also cannot call before 8:30 am or after 9pm. If they do, my DH who is very easy going guy, tells them not so gently that they cannot call at this time. Asks them all sorts of questions. They usually don't call back.

PATTIESPEARL 01-12-2012 12:25 PM

My husband tells them that he is declaring bankrupty in the morning and woukld love to include their company in it.

Candace 01-12-2012 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Karyn (Post 4867392)
I have no problem saying no to telemarketers. Once a young man called and I asked: What are you wearing? His reply: Mamm? I repeated my question, it threw him for a loop, HE HUNG UP ON ME. I got so tickled, however my hubby failed to see the humor. (Men!!) He said he might try to call me again when he wasnt home, I knew by the tone of the kids voice that would never happen.

LOL!! Too funny! We let our answering machine screen all our calls with caller id. We haven't had to talk to a telemarketer in years.

Learner747 01-12-2012 12:35 PM

I tell them no twice and I tell them if they persist they will not like it. So on their third try I pick up my playground whistle and blow.

Sassylass 01-12-2012 12:42 PM

I just lay the phone down and walk away.. letting them talk to themselves and sooner or later they will hang up. Until then they are not bothering anyone else :)

QKO 01-12-2012 12:53 PM

Goofing with telemarketers is fun. I especially like it when they call to conduct a "survey." I tell them, "Just a second while I get a piece of paper." After about a 20 second hold, I say "I'm back. Now first, I'll need your credit card number." They then usually ask why I need that, and I tell them "I charge 50 dollars a minute for taking surveys, and the clock is already running." Often they say "We don't pay for surveys" or somesuch. To which I try to talk them into paying me, telling them I'm a professional survey-taker. Usually, if they haven't left by then, that gets rid of them... :D

The funniest telemarketer call I've ever heard though was this one, done a long time ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBfsdkGeMc8

Iwantasew 01-12-2012 02:15 PM

After several requests to be removed from their list after 3 phone calls in two days, I asked for there phone number ( to turn them in) and have not heard from them again!