Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tempted to do an act of kindness (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tempted-do-act-kindness-t143487.html)

valsma 08-07-2011 06:56 PM

You were sweet to help her out when you yourself have so little right now. It is not what how much we give it is that we open our hearts to give at all. This act of kindness will come back to you. There should be more people who are willing to share what little they have.

I did the same years ago when we were in a better financial situation.
We were heading out to dinner with friends and had stopped to get gas because the resturant was a 100 mile round trip. A young couple with a couple little kids were sitting in their car in the summer sun of Central Oregon. The sign they had said they were trying to get enough money to get gas home to Washington. I asked the attendant at the station how long they had been sitting there and had anyone helped them yet. He said they had been there a couple hours and he hadn't seen anyone approach them. I grabbed a twenty and while the truck was being filled I walked over and told them it was all I could spare but maybe it could get them part way home. The girl started to cry and they both thanked me and I wished them luck on making it home. In those days gas was still under $2 a gallon. When I was pulling out of the gas station I looked in my rear view in time to see them flip a u-turn in the lot and pull up to the pump. I knew then it didn't go to waste. I figure if it got those babys out of that hot sun it was the least I could do.

earthwalker 08-07-2011 07:11 PM

You are not a sucker at all. Homelessness is a very real thing for so many people the world over. We had Homelessness Week last week in our city...the figures would astound you. A lot of them have jobs, just not enough housing at a reasonable price, some have had accidents or been ill, lost their jobs etc....it can only be a matter of 6 weeks a job loss and no family, before even a successful person finds themselves in dire circumstances. You did the right thing at the right time. Blessings to you and I hope things work out with the job-hunting.

ChrisB 08-07-2011 07:13 PM

If there were more people who would do what you did, this world would really be a much better place. To have people who care about each other just doesn't happen like it used to or like it should.

We saw a man at McDonald's one cold day with a blanket wrapped around him. I watched as he counted his change to see what he could afford to eat - he only ordered a cup of coffee. Then told my DH when he came back with our food. When we left, my DH took a bag of food to his table and told him someone left it for him.

Jim's Gem 08-07-2011 07:17 PM

You were such a blessing to that young woman!! Thank you, all of you, who have made a difference in someone's life!

amma 08-07-2011 07:21 PM

Bless your heart! There is nothing at all wrong with random acts of kindness :D:D:D
I read that many of us are only 90 days from being homeless if we were to lose all of our income... it is a very scary thought...

Mickey1 08-07-2011 07:27 PM

No matter what.....you didthe right thing at the right time and made a differnce... Not just for the girl in the story, but for all of us who read your post. Thank you.

soniboo 08-07-2011 07:48 PM

None of us know what tomorrow will bring and there's no such thing as permanent financial security anymore. We have way too many people who can attest to that. To share what little you had with another person was truly a wonderful thing.

BellaBoo 08-07-2011 07:57 PM

I'm a firm believer in the way to have more is to give more. I have had times when money was tight and seemed non existent but giving what I could when I had it to give brought me good luck and I always bounced back better then ever. The young lady will never forget your kindness and neither will karma.

wanda lou 08-07-2011 08:04 PM

bless you, bless her and her little dog, prayers for all.

DebraK 08-07-2011 08:35 PM

good on you.