Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Thank you notes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thank-you-notes-t138239.html)

Mattee 07-17-2011 05:48 AM

A recent topic here got me to thinking. I have always been pretty good about writing thank you notes. What I finally realized, however, is that even though I moved out of my parent's house over a decade ago, they have NEVER written me a thank you note. Never. Not one. Not for any gift. They've received many store-bought gifts, but also countless cross-stitched pieces, crocheted afghans, and now a quilt.

What do you guys think? Is it appropriate for a mother to write thank you notes to her children once they are grown and leave the nest? I think so, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

blueangel 07-17-2011 05:56 AM

A thank you note would be nice. But a mother can show her thanks many ways.

nursie76 07-17-2011 05:58 AM

Thank you notes are always nice, but not something I would expect from my DH or kids....and I don't think it ever occurred to me to write one to them. When we give each other something, the hugs and kisses (actual or virtual if the recipient is half way across the world) are the thanks and received when the gift is given.

Mattee 07-17-2011 06:58 AM

I guess I should add that my mother very clearly taught us to always write thank you notes, and she complains incessantly now when my brothers don't write her one. In our case, she has taught us that they are expected of family, but she doesn't reciprocate.

ckcowl 07-17-2011 07:03 AM

well- sounds like maybe that should be a little friendly talk over tea- hey mom- you know you gripe about my brothers not writting thank you cards- when did you write your last one? i've not ever got one from you- don't we teach by example?

Originally Posted by Mattee
I guess I should add that my mother very clearly taught us to always write thank you notes, and she complains incessantly now when my brothers don't write her one. In our case, she has taught us that they are expected of family, but she doesn't reciprocate.

QuiltnNan 07-17-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
well- sounds like maybe that should be a little friendly talk over tea- hey mom- you know you gripe about my brothers not writting thank you cards- when did you write your last one? i've not ever got one from you- don't we teach by example?

Originally Posted by Mattee

ditto

ptquilts 07-17-2011 07:54 AM

for some reason this reminds me of the old song, "No Charge" - anyone else remember it?

tellabella 07-17-2011 07:56 AM

Do you thank you in person, over the phone...do you show up appreciation..to me that is really what counts more than a note it the mail...to me i like seeing their faces when I give them something they love..

collady 07-17-2011 08:05 AM

My mother always wrote a note. Not just to thank me, but also to let me know that the gift had arrived.

Glassquilt 07-17-2011 08:30 AM

I enjoy receiving a thank you note. More than that I enjoy seeing the recipient's happy face when opening the gift. Top of the list is seeing the gift being used & enjoyed.