Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thanks-vs-thank-you-you-welcome-vs-no-problem-t269057.html)

coopah 08-23-2015 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 7294336)
Thanks or Thank You is better than nothing!

I don't really care, but I just like to have a gift acknowledged. There are more important things to focus on, IMO.

Yooper32 08-23-2015 07:39 AM

I don't text or have a smart phone, just a dumb phone and I prefer your example to the thank you and you are welcome, maybe even you are most welcome.

Onebyone 08-23-2015 07:42 AM

My granddaughter who is 18 told me no problem when I told her thank you. I asked her oh so if it would have been a problem for you you wouldn't have helped me? She said I didn't mean that. I said then don't say no problem. Say you're welcome.

bearisgray 08-23-2015 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto (Post 7294539)
I also like "I was happy to do it," especially when your kind act could have been interpreted as obligatory. A version of "No problem" is a common European response: di niente, de nada, de rien, etc., but "it was nothing" is closer and sounds nicer to me. If you spend hours and hours making a quilt for someone, they thank you profusely and you say, "It was nothing" someone had better let them know it was indeed something so they don't treat it like an acrylic blanket from Walmart. :shock:

I like the "I was happy to do it" response in place of "No problem" - IF I was happy (or at least not grumpy) to do it.

I still balk at saying "I was happy to do it" when I was NOT happy to do it and did not want to; or "No problem" when doing whatever was a major effort or expensive or took a lot of time.

I see no reason to downplay effort, time, or expense when someone not so dear has asked for a serious/major favor.

tessagin 08-23-2015 07:50 AM

My granddaughter is not fond of the big family that is no longer on tv. but she saw one episode that really stuck with her. When some one says "Thank you', they now answer back "my pleasure'. She makes it a constant response and some of her friends respond "Happy to help or do it".

Manalto 08-23-2015 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7294864)
I see no reason to downplay effort, time, or expense when someone not so dear has asked for a serious/major favor.

There are a few reasons: humility, grace, social convention.

The only reason for expending "effort, time or expense when someone not so dear has asked for a serious/major favor" is when you are receiving a salary.

Friday1961 08-23-2015 09:20 AM

I deplore the use of "no problem," especially in a professional setting. My young bank representative says "no problem!" in response to my thanking her for her help. Store clerks say "no problem" when ringing up your purchases. It's mostly a young people thing, I think. I recently told a friend my age that we should offer to teach classes on proper responses. "No problem" would be weeded out, and "yes, ma'am" and "No, sir" and "thank you" would be reinforced. :)

bearisgray 08-23-2015 09:43 AM

It did take a while for me to get used to the Southern convention of "Yes, Ma'am, No, Ma'am" - I kept looking around for the old lady they were talking to - and it was ME!!!!

Rhonda 08-23-2015 10:22 AM

Hi Bear! I think each expression has it's place. I use them all but mostly just thanks or thank you. I agree no problem should only be used when saying you had no problem doing what was asked.

I love how your brain works Miss Bear! LOL as always

as you know the evolution of words and phrases is an obsession of mine. I am amazed sometimes at the changes that have and continue to happen with our language.

I think for the most part we tend to use the language we grew up with but our environment affects our language also.

ManiacQuilter2 08-23-2015 10:27 AM

I really have no opinion at all on this subject. I say THANKS when someone gives me advice.