Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Thanksgiving -What have you made/done with your leftovers ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thanksgiving-what-have-you-made-done-your-leftovers-t170048.html)

sharon b 11-27-2011 02:43 PM

Thanksgiving -What have you made/done with your leftovers ?

I was lucky enough to get the ham bone from out family dinner- I made Ham and bean soup , perfect for a chilly day and the house smells so good :thumbup:

What have you made/done with your leftovers ?

athomenow 11-27-2011 02:54 PM

We have so much turkey leftover from a 20 pounder that I have no idea what to do with it. I gave some to my sister to take to moms with her but still have so much left. I don't like it heated up after the first time and we are not really casserole people. So any ideas? Don't have much left of anything else. The two big bowls of cranberry salad are gone and the broccoli salad was gone that day.

Janetlmt 11-27-2011 04:14 PM

I had leftover mashed pot, stuffing, turkey and gravy. I mix turkey and stuffing together..put in a baking dish..top with the leftover mashed pot...and dot with butter. Bake for about an hour at 350. The top of the potatoes should be a little browned. I serve this with gravy and cranberry sauce. It is called Amish Wedding Pie.

Sandra in Minnesota 11-27-2011 04:24 PM

Got to take a few leftovers home. They made good sandwiches.

sharon b 11-27-2011 04:34 PM

Athome- can you freeze it for later ?

ptquilts 11-27-2011 04:52 PM

making broth with the carcass of the turkey.

athomenow 11-27-2011 05:04 PM

I have a big bag of turkey I took off the carcass after leaving it in the roaster in the oven for a few hours. Froze the broth for later also. I just have so much, maybe I can get my son to come and get some. I will freeze if all else fails and then probably throw it away next year when I find it!!LOL

Jingle 11-27-2011 07:52 PM

I make a casserole, sliced Dressing, white meat turkey slices, and pour turkeyn gravy over all and cover with foil, bake about 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. Serve with cranberry sauce.

bodie358 11-27-2011 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow (Post 4726435)
We have so much turkey leftover from a 20 pounder that I have no idea what to do with it. I gave some to my sister to take to moms with her but still have so much left. I don't like it heated up after the first time and we are not really casserole people. So any ideas? Don't have much left of anything else. The two big bowls of cranberry salad are gone and the broccoli salad was gone that day.

Turkey tacos! A tradition in our family for years.

Honchey 11-27-2011 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b (Post 4726753)
Athome- can you freeze it for later ?

Yes, You can and it also makes great turkey salad...just add chopped celery and mayo. How about Turkey Tetrazini??

I also make a turkey/barley soup. I put the carcass in a pot add water or broth.. cook till it all falls apart. strain the contents and the broth into another pot..add the leftover gravy/stuffing/carrots/onion/celery and a cup of rinsed barley. pick the meat off the bones..discard all the rest...add some additional poultry seasoniong..cook until the barley is nice and fat/tender and you're good to go. Best turkey soup ever!!!