Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   is there an english teacher on the board? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/there-english-teacher-board-t174396.html)

granny_59 01-04-2012 07:34 AM

is there an english teacher on the board?

I should have the help of a native speaker.

We got involved in some charity work in Sri Lanka after the tsunami and I kept writing reports about it for our friends. DH made a wegpage with the reports and other info and wants me to translate everything.

So far so good but I badly had to realize my limitations in your language.
It took me forever to translate the first 15 pages (much more to go) and I would realy appreciate if I could find someone who would read it and make the nessescairy corrections.

You would not have to do it for free. We could talk about a gift certificate from your favorite fabric shop!?

thanks for reading
Granny

PurplePassion 01-04-2012 07:48 AM

Hi , I am not a teacher; but would be happy to proof read for you ; if you don't find someone. Elaine

Murphy1 01-04-2012 08:42 AM

Google has a translation system for Blogs. I would check that out. I have come across food and quilting sites that when you hit the translation button it translates into whatever language you request. Roolan's Spun Star is in Russian, but I read it in English.

QuiltE 01-04-2012 09:07 AM

Granny_59 ... Yes, I'd be interested in helping you out with this.

As a caution for any considering the online translations that are available. My experience has been that while they give a general translation, they seldom provide one that reads well. Of course, it depends on what you are wanting, and they can often do the trick! However, if you are wanting well written English (or other languages), I wouldn't take the chance!

They can be dangerous ... I've heard of "literal" translations that could be very embarrassing, if used. You may not have the chance to laugh about it.

granny_59 01-04-2012 10:04 AM

thank you all so much.

I can only agree with QuiltE (thanks for your pm. I will answer in a minute) Those translation programs are useless and the results terrible.
My biggest problem is the punctuation so there would be a lot of work on that............

Granny

QuiltE 01-04-2012 10:42 AM

You write well with your English, so don't fret!

I tried to send you a PM, Granny, and the system has rejected it, saying you have too many PM's in your inbox.
So please delete a few, and I will send my PM soon after.

Arleners 01-04-2012 05:06 PM

I am not an English teacher, but have worked for our local Department of Social Services writing training material for the workers. I did that for a good twenty years. If you haven't already chosen someone, I wouldn't mind helping out.

blondeslave 01-05-2012 08:27 AM

I work in subsidiary rights in book publishing and try to use the online translators all the time to interpret statements and payments. Even Google(which I use most frequently) often translates so literally as to be incomprehensible.