Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Things Adelaide Residents Have Learnt From The Heat Wave (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/things-adelaide-residents-have-learnt-heat-wave-t243020.html)

Mrs B 03-11-2014 10:05 PM

Things Adelaide Residents Have Learnt From The Heat Wave

We had two heatwaves with the weather over 40 ° C for several days during this summer and some bright spark has come up with this list of things we have all learned from this heat. Enjoy and you are allowed to laugh!!
[LIST][*]The best parking space is determined by shade instead of distance.[*]Hot water comes out of both taps.[*]You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.[*]The temperature drops below 32c and you feel a little chilly.[*]You discover that in February it only takes two fingers to steer your car.[*]You discover that you can get sunburnt through your car window.[*]You develop a fear of metal car door handles.[*]You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:00am.[*]Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and get cooked to death?"[*]You realise that asphalt has a liquid state.[*]Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to prevent them from laying hard-boiled eggs.[*]The trees are whistling for the dogs.[*]While walking back barefoot to your car from the park, you do a tightrope act on the white lines in the carpark.[*]You catch a cold from having the aircon full blast while you sleep during the night.[*]You learn that Centro plaza isn't a shopping centre it's a temple to worship air-conditioning.[*]Sticking your head into the freezer and taking deep breaths is perfectly normal behaviour.[*]A cup full of ice is considered a great snack.[*]An electricity black out is life threatening because your aircon and your fans no longer work and you are seriously going to bake!![*]You no longer sit on a couch, why would you when you can settle down on the cooling tiles instead.[*]You need a stubby holder to keep your drink cold, not your hands warm[*]No one cares if you walk around with no shoes on.[*]You keep everything in the fridge, including potatoes and bread etc....[*]Wearing nothing but your underwear around the house to stay cool is acceptable and understandable[*]The effort of towelling off after a shower means you need another one right away[*]Standing naked under a ceiling fan is a great way to pass time.[*]You wait till it starts raining to exercise or even go outside!
]

janedee 03-11-2014 10:50 PM

Ha Ha very good particularly like the one about hard boiled eggs - hard to imagine that sort of heat my daughter now lives in NSW so I frequently get an update of how hot it is there.

earthwalker 03-11-2014 11:51 PM

Sounds like Perth! No rain for 100 days...supposed to be a 40% chance of rain today....think it hit about 38 degrees...a few grey clouds but it will probably evaporate before it hits the ground......

susiequilt 03-12-2014 01:43 AM

My favorite:
The trees are whistling for the dogs.

Billi 03-12-2014 04:57 AM

Ok sorry you guys are suffering but thanks for the giggles I can relate to several of your realizations.

Sandra in Minnesota 03-12-2014 11:09 AM

Seatbelts make good branding irons. That is so true. Thanks for the giggle.

lynnie 03-12-2014 06:25 PM

thanks for the giggle, from where it's been too darn cold and snowy for the past few months. yesterday it was 70* tonight snow

Nammie to 7 03-12-2014 07:32 PM

I think I would rather have the cold than that kind of heat! It will be interesting to see what kind of summer we have when we have had such a long cold winter!

earthwalker 03-13-2014 02:03 AM

Got about 2 spots of rain, not enough to wet the paving.....the worst thing is watching the big trees stress from the heat and lack of water...no amount of watering by hand can give them the drink they need. The only thing we can do for the wildlife is keep the birdbaths topped up, spray water on the foliage and put low saucers down for the bigger reptiles. Roll on winter....I won't even whine when I have to barrow the wood up from the back of the block to keep the fires going.

running1 03-13-2014 05:06 AM

I can totally identify with your "lessons" from the recent heat waves... only ours come in July and August!