Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Thinking about getting this sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thinking-about-getting-sewing-machine-t156500.html)

Ginger2010 09-29-2011 12:33 PM

I have a Pfaff 2140 updated to a 2170 for sale if anyone is interested. Just PM me! I have 2 Pfaffs and they are both excellent machines, but I switched to a Baby Lock Ellisimo and I just love it! Just selling my Pfaff 2140 and keeping the 1475!

CoventryUK 09-29-2011 12:37 PM

My sewing machine mechanic highly recommends JANOME!! Says the company stands by their reputation! Wouldn't touch Singer with a bargepole and Berninas trade on their Swiss reputation but they are all made in Taiwan!! I have Husqvarna 870 and he's not too impressed with that!!! However I have just bought a Singer Featherweight 1956 and he has fallen in love with that!!!! Says I got the bargain of the Century!!! Hope this helps!!!

alfosa421 09-29-2011 05:53 PM

For the price I would give it a go especially with that sale!!! Bought the Quilter friendly EQ (machine #3 and all Singers) and wish I had saved the money for something bigger vbecause it has not many more stitches than the last one I bought. Good luck but the PRICE IS RIGHT!!!!!

sewbigd2858 09-29-2011 05:54 PM

It really depends on what you want to do with it. I have a new Singer I bought HSN. I love it for binding & strip piecing. I also have old dressmaker that piece on.

RobertaMarie 09-29-2011 05:56 PM

Sent you a PM. I have one....:-)

Candace 09-30-2011 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
My sewing machine mechanic highly recommends JANOME!! Says the company stands by their reputation! Wouldn't touch Singer with a bargepole and Berninas trade on their Swiss reputation but they are all made in Taiwan!! I have Husqvarna 870 and he's not too impressed with that!!! However I have just bought a Singer Featherweight 1956 and he has fallen in love with that!!!! Says I got the bargain of the Century!!! Hope this helps!!!

Sigh...more misinformation being passed on about Bernina. LOL.

Prism99 09-30-2011 08:06 AM

Bernettes and lower-end Berninas are made in Asia, but higher-end Berninas (above the Aurora line) are still made in Switzerland.

Berninas made in Switzerland will have a "Made in Switzerland" logo on the machine.

Candace 09-30-2011 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Bernettes and lower-end Berninas are made in Asia, but higher-end Berninas (above the Aurora line) are still made in Switzerland.

Berninas made in Switzerland will have a "Made in Switzerland" logo on the machine.

Yes and Taiwan is not Thailand. Quite different countries the last time I looked!

threadsdmr 10-01-2011 10:50 AM

I wouldn't own anything but a Bernina and I actually bought a new one yesterday. The 440's are on sale right now and you can not beat that price for any other machine. Check it out before you buy a machine.

Pam Perry 10-01-2011 12:15 PM

I just bought that machine a few months ago and I really like it. Have not tried all of the stiching, but nice machine.