Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Those Little Bra Hooks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/those-little-bra-hooks-t263794.html)

Boston1954 04-09-2015 09:30 AM

Those Little Bra Hooks

When the bra gets washed, these things get bent. What could be doing this? Some are so bad on fairly new clothes that I am considering just sewing them. Should I un-hook them before washing?

lynnie 04-09-2015 09:33 AM

keep them hooked. my dh did a laundry last week and it was unhooked, went into the dryer that way and one of the three hooks is bent now,, when I wash them, I don't put bras in the dryer, they shrink and ruin the hooks. sometimes, I can fix them with a plyer, but this time, this hook was mangled out of shap, thank goodness I have 2 more good hooks. good luck

mike'sgirl 04-09-2015 09:38 AM

I never have a problem with that, but I don't put them in the dryer. I would, as Lynnie said, keep them hooked.

grma33 04-09-2015 10:35 AM

I just bought some expensive ones and did not want to hand wash so sales clerk suggested a net bag.
I leave hooks closed and no dryer.
This works great.
Gale

Quilty-Louise 04-09-2015 10:46 AM

I ALWAYS use a mesh bra bag. I got it at WalMart in the same
area where irons and such can be found. It is a round cylinder
type bag with a zipper on each end.

BEST investment i ever made for washing my bras.

PLUS like others have said NO dryer.

Onebyone 04-09-2015 10:49 AM

The little hooks get caught in the holes of the washer or dryer. They come unhung but the hooks are bent. Always hook them before washing. I don't dry my underwear in the dryer, I throw DH's in there though.

QuiltE 04-09-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7159187)
When the bra gets washed, these things get bent. What could be doing this?..........

If you are letting them flop around in the washer the hooks are going to catch in other clothes and the like.
Likewise, underwires can get bent with the washing and spinning and twisted in with the other items.

For washing ... instead of a lingerie bag .... just fold your bra with the cups with the right sides together and inside facing outwards. Position , the hooks in the centre. I've been doing this for sometime and have not had any damage to the hooks or the adjustment loops, wires, etc.

Prism99 04-09-2015 11:32 AM

I never have this problem, and I didn't even know to hook them before putting in the wash. However, I do use the mesh bra bags that Quilty-Louise mentioned. Got mine at Walmart too. :) They are round and have a zipper in each side. When using them, I do position the bra cups inside each other as QuiltE mentions. I use the same mesh bags for my daughter's panties (Victoria's Secret type). Also, I have a front load washer and make sure that the bras go into a small load of delicates. I can't imagine washing without mesh bags in a top loader with central agitator and a large load! I hang to dry, but occasionally miss one that goes through the dryer. Still no problems with bent hooks.

nativetexan 04-09-2015 12:11 PM

I put mine in a bag for delicates. not always hooked either. so far, so good.

QuiltE 04-09-2015 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7159263)
...................For washing ... instead of a lingerie bag .... just fold your bra with the cups with the right sides together and inside facing outwards. Position , the hooks in the centre. I've been doing this for sometime and have not had any damage to the hooks or the adjustment loops, wires, etc.

........... Oh dear!!!! ... I went thru the explanation of how to fold it, and did not mention ..... wouldn't do any good to have it folded so, as it would soon come undone if not enclosed. So instead of the lingerie bag, put it into a nylon knee hi or panty-hose. Then tie a knot in the excess nylon to keep it there! Works just like the lingerie bag.