Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   For those who have a screened room..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/those-who-have-screened-room-t241116.html)

LavenderBlue 02-14-2014 11:58 AM

For those who have a screened room.....

We've talked about it for years and have finally decided to convert our deck to a screened room. Do you use your room much? Sew there? Wondering if you'd do anything differently if you could build your screened room over again. THX for any input/ideas!

toverly 02-14-2014 12:10 PM

I love our screen porch. It's on the back and I have wind chimes and bird feeders just outside. We have a cat door in our window so our cat loves it too and thinks it's her porch. The only thing I would do different is I would only put only rocking chairs out there. Everyone goes to the rocker first. I don't sew out there, it gets pretty dirty. I do read.

Tartan 02-14-2014 12:46 PM

I like the screened porches that are screened on the top and have something else about 2 feet high around the bottom. Unless you have cement all around the outside, when it rains the bottom is going to get dirt splashed in. Children, chairs and pets can make holes in the bottom if it is all screened.

Prism99 02-14-2014 01:05 PM

We have a screened-in porch on the second floor and it gets used a *lot* when the weather is good. The change I would make if we were to do it over again would be to make the porch much bigger so we could eat meals out there too. We had a deck on the old house and never used it because of mosquitoes; the screened porch gets used much more than the deck ever did.

ube quilting 02-14-2014 01:53 PM

It has always been a dream of mine to have a sewing porch to use during good weather. I don't have one now and at my age I don't think it will ever happen. I try not to think about it, to much.

Outdoor electric sockets and lights would be a must along with a solid floor. Then there are the awnings that go around it to keep the sun just out of my eyes and cool in summer. I don't ask for much, do I?
peace

Pam B 02-14-2014 02:19 PM

We do not but my FIL does. It is a room...walls up about 2 feet then screened windows the rest of the way. My late MIL put beautiful rattan-cushioned gliders with ottomans and love seat out there. I absolutely LOVE that room! The only thing I would have done, were it ours, would be make it a little larger. Doubt I would ever puta sewing machine out there but, it would be a lovely place to sit and do handwork.

Judith1005 02-14-2014 03:53 PM

Florida Screen Room

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Florida room that is screened all the way around. It will become my new sewing room soon. It is climate controlled. I just need to come up with some sort of window treatment to block just a bit of all the lovely light. I want most of it. But it's just a bit too bright to see the TV during the day. This is a before picture. I started to transform the room right before I had to be back in KY for work. So, sorry about the mess. I hope to have a pleasant room update in a few weeks.

In a heartbeat I would do this room all over again. We converted a deck to a more useable room. The windows are all screened and can with stand hurricane winds. It is climate controlled for summer and what stands for winter in Florida. The only problem we had is, it, out priced our house for the neighborhood. But, that's okay. We don't plan to move or sell it. (hopefully ever)

I think that you could probably use your screen room to sew in as long as the weather is nice and you are comfortable and happy there. And it meets your needs.

Pam B 02-14-2014 04:57 PM

Judith...I bet you will enjoy your room, especially since it is climate controlled! My FlL's room only has a ceiling fan...sometimes our central IN summers are too humid to enjoy the room during the day. My favorite times to sit in it are summer evenings and I love spring and fall anytime!

LavenderBlue 02-14-2014 05:44 PM

Judith, can you explain the climate-controlled part. Do you have actual glass windows, plus the screens or just screens. Trying to understand. Thx

DOTTYMO 02-14-2014 06:45 PM

Is this a conservatory you are discussing. If so I would love to hear more.