Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A Thread Catcher (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thread-catcher-t102532.html)

SassySewer53 02-23-2011 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a tutorial I got to make some thread catchers. I am going to use my mom's old hose from her oxygen to make those rims.

QuiltingGrannie 02-23-2011 08:02 PM

My co-worker made me one. I Love it.
I use it to actually hold my seam ripper, hemostat, marking pens, and other supplies instead of as a thread catcher.

jaciqltznok 02-23-2011 08:21 PM

they quit making them like this a couple of years back because the tiles can easily get broken!

It is better to use a bag of sand or walnut shells and make that a pin cushion area.
I will try to get a pix of mine to show you...it has a muslin bag filled with sand inside of a ziploc that is duct taped all around then wrapped in batting and puffed on top with more batting to make it a pincushion.
I love it and make them for all family, friends, etc.

You can buy the plastic tubing at the hardware store.

cjomomma 02-23-2011 09:03 PM

Thank you! I was wanting to make some of these.

jaciqltznok 02-23-2011 09:05 PM

whatever you do, do NOT stuff it with kitty litter...I had a friend who did that thinking it would be just as good as sand...WRONG..it absorb moisture..heheh
what a mess that thing became..luckily fabric is forgiving and she could unsew it and make a SAND bag for it..I still laugh about that...shame on me..

Hosta 02-23-2011 09:07 PM

I have been wanting to make one of these

quilt queen 2 02-23-2011 09:09 PM

After breaking my tile in the first one I made I went to the hardware and bought some 4 inch washers to use as weight it is wrapped with scrap batting and slides out for laundry.Then I had a problem getting tubing so once again went to the local hardware and they gave me tons of the nylon strapping that is used on heavy boxes that shipments come in! I love the lace on this tute and will use some on my next one. Thanks for the tute.

jaciqltznok 02-23-2011 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
After breaking my tile in the first one I made I went to the hardware and bought some 4 inch washers to use as weight it is wrapped with scrap batting and slides out for laundry.Then I had a problem getting tubing so once again went to the local hardware and they gave me tons of the nylon strapping that is used on heavy boxes that shipments come in! I love the lace on this tute and will use some on my next one. Thanks for the tute.

I used some of that strapping in my first one and found it flimsy, did you double it up...I have also used boning that I found at the thrift shop, that worked great!

BellaBoo 02-23-2011 09:44 PM

Go to the thrift store and get the underwire from a big size bra. I works great for the rim.

jaciqltznok 02-23-2011 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Go to the thrift store and get the underwire from a big size bra. I works great for the rim.

as a big busted gal, I must say that these bras are really costly...not sure I could buy one just to cut out the wire...but I am sure it would give the catcher SUPPORT..hehehe
just had to say it... :P