Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Three independent fabric stores closing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/three-independent-fabric-stores-closing-t243150.html)

AndiR 03-14-2014 01:05 PM

Keeping a quilt shop running is a daunting job. People don't just want you to have goods to sell, you have to educate and entertain them as well (classes, clubs, newsletters, websites, etc). But they want the prices that they can find on the internet. When I used to sell fabric, books, notions, etc., I would actually have people come in and ask me to help them with their quilt, but they had purchased the items elsewhere. Huh????? There is a reason the shops have to charge more, you are getting more for your money!

I have a friend that has a gift/home decorating shop. Yes, she has to have a good selection of goods, and she does put time into displaying those nicely. HOWEVER, she does NOT send out a newsletter, she does NOT have to create samples, she does NOT have to cut kits and fat quarters, she does NOT teach classes or put on demos. She can hire high school students to run the cash register - they do not have to have knowledge of how to combine fabrics, interpret a pattern, figure yardage and all the other things you would want in a good quilt store clerk.

Often times shops will close due to owner burnout. And I do think the economy and online shopping are affecting local shops as well. Sad.

Andi

sunny42539 03-14-2014 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant (Post 6625288)
This spring three fabric shops are closing within a 20 mile radius of where I live. Two say they are retiring and one said she needed to be home as a single mom. I wonder if the economy has anything to do with the closings?

I almost cried when I found out the owners of our fabric store was retiring.

Nammie to 7 03-14-2014 02:21 PM

I rarely shop online but then we are fortunate to have several quilt shops in our town. Once in a while a friend and I take a road trip and do some shopping.

IrishNY 03-14-2014 07:00 PM

Abd,

Can you tell us what shops are closing? I am in the western part of the state often and wonder if I've visited the ones that are closing. Thanks.

Debbie C 03-15-2014 03:42 AM

I have never shopped online. I'm lucky to still have two thriving stores within 30 minutes west and north of my home. There's nothing like feeling your way through a sea of fabric!!

ladyinpurple135 03-15-2014 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant (Post 6625288)
This spring three fabric shops are closing within a 20 mile radius of where I live. Two say they are retiring and one said she needed to be home as a single mom. I wonder if the economy has anything to do with the closings?

I live in Mooresville, NC just north of Charlotte and was wondering which shops are closing. I've been to several in western nc and they all were very nice. I hate to see shops close but understand that life changes an be a. If difference. The economy is taking a toll, too, since the cost of fabric is going up and up and quilters are not always able or willing to pay $10 and over.

Thanks for the info - I'll pass the info along to my quilt guilds in Mooresville and Lincolnton (day guild).
Sandy in Mooresville, NC - but up in York, PA visiting family and have already attended AQS Lancaster and helped the economy greatly!!!

SB13 03-15-2014 04:29 AM

I much prefer to feel the fabric before buying so do my shopping at the LQS, hardly ever online. I can understand the two that are retiring, but how does a single mother have the option to stay home with her children? That reason just doesn't seem like the reason the shop is closing.

nightquilter 03-15-2014 08:04 PM

One of these closing shops is where I shop. Love this shop, beautiful fabric.She is retiring after many years of teaching and being a nurse, then owing a fabric shop.They had many classes back a year or so. No classes now and a closing sale, very sad.We have a big and very active guild, so maybe someone will be able to open another shop. But will really miss these ladies.

athomenow 03-16-2014 05:55 AM

I want to buy online but I need to feel the fabric and see the colors in person. That being said I can't afford the LQS prices so I buy the best I can from JoAnn Fabrics when there's a good sale. Most of the really nice stuff is out of my price range now that I've retired. Should have bought more when I was working.