Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Thrift store "police" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thrift-store-police-t209480.html)

grandmahoney 12-29-2012 04:34 AM

I never donate my used stuff to Goodwill just because of the fact that if it doesn't sale with in a certain time they just dump it. There is so many people in need right now that don't have jobs and are really struggling to make ends meet. Its a shame that Goodwill don't reach out to them in some way. You would think they could at least have a bag sale where you could fill a bag for $5.00. At least its something for these items and it helps those in need. I donate all my items to a place called helping hand there people just go and can take anything they want and it doesn't cost them anything. Also I know of a church that has a special area that they take things and have them for anyone that is in need. So when I shop Goodwill I never feel guilty about what I want the item for. Its better used anyway you want to use it then for it to be just dumped in the garbage.

MamaHen 12-29-2012 04:55 AM

Goodwill is out to make money for Goodwill, they don't donate money to anyone that I know of. That guy has become a rich man from donations to Goodwill. I now only donate things to the Humane Society because I know what they sell goes to a good cause.

AnnT 12-29-2012 05:34 AM

I can get annoyed when a clerk (anywhere) asks and I answer truthfully what my plans are and they get all "Really?" about it. I pay for it, it's mine and what I do with it is my business. I often just say "I'm not sure yet. I just like it." But then I'm not really much for chit chat when I'm shopping and checking out. I guess because I'm hearing impaired and miss about 75% of what's being said on a good day.

b.zang: How bizarre that you were limited to what you could buy at a thrift store!I guess maybe they were expecting a huge number of quilters to come shopping and wanted to make sure everyone had a chance at the fabric. That's a first for me!

coopah 12-29-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by MamaHen (Post 5746899)
Goodwill is out to make money for Goodwill, they don't donate money to anyone that I know of. That guy has become a rich man from donations to Goodwill. I now only donate things to the Humane Society because I know what they sell goes to a good cause.

I have also heard, but not confirmed, that the person at the top of the Goodwill profit chain is a multi-millionaire. You think HE cares why you're buying stuff? And it's none of the clerks business what you do with it. Nosey questions bug me tremendously. Chasing Hawk, you are a stitch! :thumbup::thumbup:

lclang 12-29-2012 06:15 AM

Irarely shop at Goodwill because they charge so much for their donations. I usually shop at thrift shops that support the mentally handicapped or the homeless. I'm so glad we have that choice!

ptquilts 12-29-2012 06:28 AM

You don't even want to know what people go through who try to buy items for re-sale on Ebay, at thrift stores.

Let's all pledge, when a nosy clerk asks, What are you going to do with it? -- we'll say, I'm just going to take it home and pet it.

oleganny 12-29-2012 06:28 AM

<snip>
b.zang: How bizarre that you were limited to what you could buy at a thrift store!I guess maybe they were expecting a huge number of quilters to come shopping and wanted to make sure everyone had a chance at the fabric. That's a first for me![/QUOTE]

More likely that one of the "employees" wanted it. I have stopped donating to anything except one non-profit place here that supports a church. If someone is really in need they are given the item, not charged for it. I donated some furniture to a mission store in a nearby town, & was told later by an employee I knew that it never made it out of the back room - the manager had it set aside for herself. I did complain about that to the b.o.d. but it did no good. I've been told that most thrift stores are like that - first pic (& the best items go to those who work there), usually at no cost.

hugs
Shirley in Indiana

grummy2393 12-29-2012 06:30 AM

It upsets me that they get all these items for free, then try to sell to sell at store prices.

carolynjo 12-29-2012 06:34 AM

I'm glad that your Goodwill and thrift shops have fabrics and stuff you can use! Ours has so little of use that I rarely go there. I do take quilt scraps to one shop and they save it for a particular lady who loves to quilt and comes in every day to see if there is anything she can use.

Beginner10 12-29-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by coopah (Post 5747076)
I have also heard, but not confirmed, that the person at the top of the Goodwill profit chain is a multi-millionaire. You think HE cares why you're buying stuff? And it's none of the clerks business what you do with it. Nosey questions bug me tremendously. Chasing Hawk, you are a stitch! :thumbup::thumbup:

I hadn't heard this about Goodwill. What a waste...dumping in the garbage :( DUMBFOUNDED!
Why don't they just hold a special "sale" a specific day of the month (before it goes to the landfill), and have people pay something for it. I know there couldn't be a freebie day...that would cause a big mess.

Also..You are too funny Chasing Hawk. And Jan.."here's your sign"...good one!!