Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Thrift store "police" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thrift-store-police-t209480.html)

hperttula123 12-29-2012 10:21 PM

good for you. I don't get to thrift store often but my grandma has a list of stuff to pick up for my mom and I when she sees it. She's goes every week. She's gotten some really good stuff for us to "just cut up" too.....lol.
Anything that can be recycled/upcycled/reused should be. :) Can't wait to see some of your projects. Hope your going to share them with us.

sweetana3 12-30-2012 04:32 AM

I could shop anywhere but I like to check out places like our local trifts and occasionally Goodwill or SA. In one Goodwill, I found a brand new Norwegian wool sweater with pewter clasps for $2.98. It was too small for me but I got it for a friend. In the little thrift store that supports or local woman's shelter, I found a brown suede zipper front vest that fits like a dream. It was $20 but looks new. Yippee. In that same thrift store, they had 17 yards of dragon fabric. Probably for someone's drapery project. It was less than $1 per yard. I almost bought a brand new leather sofa and chair but hubby put his foot down because we had no room.

I do like the smaller thrifts over Goodwill since they are much more likely to get interesting items out on the floor.

I collected a mountian of wool cloth from recycling wool clothes for my rug hooking from thrift purchases.

miriam 12-30-2012 04:57 AM

In Indianapolis we have THREE Goodwill Outlets and a Goodwill auction plus a lot of regular GW stores. We have 4 Value World's, a DAV thrift store & numerous SA and all kinds of other little thrift stores. Then there are flea markets and antique malls. I think it is because we don't have basements and we have garbage rationing - yeah we get one can big enough for a homeless person to sleep in... There is a lot of good stuff at the thrift stores. I don't buy new clothes any more and I don't sew them from scratch - I buy good quality clothes from the thrift stores and some times I find something with good fabric and then re-use the fabric. Sometimes I find fabric at the thrift stores. It isn't hard to add clutter to the house either.

ckcowl 12-30-2012 05:29 AM

when i shop at thrift -if the clerk feels the need to comment on my purchases i simply state--'oh it will all go to good use'; smile, pay & walk away...there's no need to offer more information than needed- it's really none of their business; when i go to Penneys & shop for granddaughters, daughter, mother, aunt, sons...all at once- no one feels (justified) in commenting on the various sizes/styles/types of purchases---why would it be any different if i'm shopping at goodwill or challenge mountain?...all that matters is that i pay for my purchases- when i go out the door what i do with them is only my business...i've bought clothing at a store having a good sale- walked out & dropped the purchases into a donation box...would the clerk at Penneys have a heart attack if she knew i just bought that stuff (and threw it away?) nope- the store made their money- i've shopped at many thrift stores looking for good wool---sometimes clerks have commented on what a nice suit, skirt, jacket that was---i simply say---Yes, isn't it wonderful? smile /pay and walk away...

Aurora 12-30-2012 05:38 AM

I recently purchased two wool suit jackets from Goodwill to felt, but when I got them home, I decided to wear them before I felt them. They are perfect for taking the dogs out, walking to the mailbox or to the paper box. When I worked I wore them all the time rather than a winter coat which is always too heavy and bulky for me.

I never mention why I am buying something. My very first quilting project was made from men's plaid cotton shirts. I still purchase them occasionally for quilt projects when I want to use plaids.

tymia 12-30-2012 05:41 AM

what are some of the things you look for? I would love to make some jean bags. Please advise!

Debbie C 12-30-2012 06:10 AM

If the cashiers at my local 'Savers' knew I was cutting up leather coats to make accessories, they'd probably have a cow! It's just none of their business what I do with my purchases and I have long ago learned not to mention my intentions! They just don't get it!!

helenhiwater 12-30-2012 07:12 AM

My daughter went into the thrift store once and bought some brightly colored jeans for a braided rug. The clerk asked who would wear things like that? Rose looked mysterious and walked away.

wildyard 12-30-2012 07:23 AM

Our stores all know what I do with my purchases and they are friendly and encouraging. They love when I bring in quilts to show them that contain fabrics from things I bought in their shops. They, in fact, will sometimes give me a small extra discount when I buy a lot at one time.

Vanuatu Jill 12-30-2012 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by tymia (Post 5749369)
what are some of the things you look for? I would love to make some jean bags. Please advise!

Sizes up to lady's 12, including children's. Any larger and the tote is too big, unless that is what you want. I look for ones that have nice detail on pockets, like embroidery or jeweled that is in excellent condition, unless I want to add my own themed "bling", then I want fairly plain ones. Unless I want a distresses and well worn look, I want jeans that look new. Also, they have to have belt loops for the ties. I also find it a bonus when a pair have design on pockets and matching design down the leg or legs, because I can use that for matching inside pockets. I found 2 pairs of NYDJ jeans, size 4 and 6, one in white and one in chocolate brown, both looked they have never never been worn, and snapped them up! One was $6.99 and the other $4.99. I think they sell new for about $90.00. I got them home and really had a hard time cutting them!! However, Both were WAY too small for me, so I made them into really nice jeans bags. I think I posted photos of them a couple months ago.