Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ticked off at my Dentist!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ticked-off-my-dentist-t56885.html)

Ditter43 07-29-2010 08:12 PM

I would call the dentist you just saw and insist they see you right away.It is hard to believe it wasn't cracked when they did the xray, but it is possible it didn't show up if it was very minor. Chewing on it may have been all it needed to crack wide open. You need this seen to right away before the nerve is exposed or infection.
Of coarse the decision is up to you, but if it were me, on second thought, I would be there when they open in the morning. :|

Up North 07-29-2010 08:18 PM

Oh Goody! He already told me a crown was not an option as several of my back teeth are loose, He says he sees dentures in my future! Ug My kids inherited bad teeth from my husband and My side of the family isn't much better. My Dad is the only one with his teeth! I am not looking forward to this adventure!! My dentist did all kinds of things but this pizza wasn't hard and I had only taken a couple bites but it is defiantly a broken tooth! the only good thing is it doesn't hurt anymore so I hope it isn't to the nerve of the tooth!

sharon b 07-29-2010 08:26 PM

I broke a tooth one time on the way home from a vacation when I bit into a hard shell taco :shock: Like yours mine didn't hurt , Thank goodness as it was on a Saturday .

I would call the dentist in the AM and tell them you will sit in the office until they can squeeze you in and be stern ! Tell them lunch is optionally :wink: You need help
Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK

walen 07-29-2010 09:05 PM

Everyone has already said it: see the dentist, get on antibiotics (see a doc in the box or have the dentist phone in a script), and get the tooth taken care of pronto. I dilly dallied around with one of mine and ended up with even more problems than if I had just gone and had the work done, sigh...

BellaBoo 07-29-2010 10:10 PM

Find a new dentist! But get your ex rays from the other dentist, no use paying for those twice. I love my dentist as far as dentist goes. I can call and be seen that same day, usually within the hour. She does this for all her long time patients, she says it's the right thing to do for her business and her conscience. She has so many patients she can't accept any new ones.

quiltinghere 07-30-2010 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I would call the dentist you just saw and insist they see you right away.It is hard to believe it wasn't cracked when they did the xray, but it is possible it didn't show up if it was very minor. Chewing on it may have been all it needed to crack wide open. You need this seen to right away before the nerve is exposed or infection.
Of coarse the decision is up to you, but if it were me, on second thought, I would be there when they open in the morning. :|

I agree with DITTER - but would emphasize the words
INSIST THEY SEE YOU RIGHT AWAY.
Go up the ladder from the receptionist to the dentist himself.
Make sure HE is aware of Your situation. That would be bad advertising for him to ignore your situation.

I'd have the tooth taken care of before going camping...even if it meant cancelling or postponing the camping until it was taken care of.

CarrieAnne 07-30-2010 03:57 AM

Please go soon! I broke a tooth, and I have no insurance so I waited to save money!!!!!!!!!
Long story made short, I ended up with a terrible infection, face swelled up and I couldnt stop drooling, and I am serious! Happened of course, on a Friday night, so I had to wait til Monday!
It was BAD! They had to send me to an oral surgeon to remove it immmediatly. I guess what I am saying is please dont wait!

donnajean 07-30-2010 04:56 AM

I once broke a tooth on a weekend & the dentist told me to paint it with fingernail polish until I could get to see him. I guess that seals out air, etc. that could get to the nerve.

adirondackgrl76 07-30-2010 05:29 AM

I would call that dentist right back and insist on getting in today to have the rest of the tooth removed. I would also question them as to whether or not they plan to bill you for the visit as they charged you for the previous visit and ensured you there was no crack in the tooth. I would let them know that you would appreciate not being billed for this visit as it should have been taken care of in the first visit. It is hard now I think with the equipment that the dentists use. I had a cavity that I could see between two of teeth in the front and when I went and had xrays done the dentist found two others but never mentioned that one. I questioned him about is and he said that it definately was a cavity and was quite disappointed that his new high tech machine did not show it. He just shook his head as it had happened to him a few times before. For some reason this great new technology they have is not really that great. Good luck to you.

lindyline 07-30-2010 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Last Thursday night I bit into a piece of meat that must have had a sliver of bone in it and my tooth hurt BAD so I called and got in today. Ok so far so good, I managed with the hot and cold sensitivity, not being able to chew on that side, I went and they took X rays poked and prodded, said I must have bruised it and it would heal on its own, Ok I was good with that. Came home was eating a piece of Pizza and hmm that tooth feels funny, I look at it and it is broken in half! I can almost wiggle the one half off, Now. why didn't that crack show up on the x ray? He said it wasn't chipped or cracked. Do I stop payment on my check, call back and complain or just find a new dentist? I am leaving tomorrow afternoon for a week of camping. It doesn't hurt but it very well may if this falls all they way apart! and it took a week for an emergency appointment the first time! And I can't chew on that side! GGRRRRR Ok I feel better, gonna go to bed soon!

As a dental nurse for 33 years, I can assure you that NOT all cracks will show up on an xray. Depends where they are. So saying, ou should definitely contact the dentist who saw you. I also am astounded it took a week for an emergency apt. We see all toothaches the day they ring. On Tuesday night, I broke my front tooth. Lucky I work with and for great people, who did a temp repair job the next morning. Can't imagine what I would have done otherwise. Good Luck with your tooth.