Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tin foil to block credit card scanners? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tin-foil-block-credit-card-scanners-t83627.html)

Chasing Hawk 12-18-2010 01:26 PM

I have a simple solution......Don't have those blasted devil created cards in the first place.

I seen that report too on FOX News, there is a symbol on your card that looks like three radar waves if it has that then your card can supposedly be scanned. That scanner he was using is in 7-11's, some gas pumps and places like Mickey D's.

auntmag 12-18-2010 01:30 PM

Not according to news film I have seen on TV.

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i suspect this is myth.

dreamer2009 12-18-2010 02:35 PM

There are two materials which impede Radio Signals with incredible success... Water & Metal. Although you could fill a bag full of water and place your money, wallet, or whatever else in it, let's continue with the metal route. A single layer of aluminum foil of only 27 microns thick is often enough to block the RFID signals of most readers or 1mm of dilute salt water. A quick test at my work place using my badge confirmed the effectiveness of a layer of aluminum foil. (insert obligatory aluminum foil hat joke) So... the next step was to design a wallet with aluminum foil embedded inside. Using the plans to make Duct Tape Wallets I created previously, it was simple to modify them to include the aluminum foil.

AlwaysQuilting 12-18-2010 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
There are two materials which impede Radio Signals with incredible success... Water & Metal. Although you could fill a bag full of water and place your money, wallet, or whatever else in it, let's continue with the metal route. A single layer of aluminum foil of only 27 microns thick is often enough to block the RFID signals of most readers or 1mm of dilute salt water. A quick test at my work place using my badge confirmed the effectiveness of a layer of aluminum foil. (insert obligatory aluminum foil hat joke) So... the next step was to design a wallet with aluminum foil embedded inside. Using the plans to make Duct Tape Wallets I created previously, it was simple to modify them to include the aluminum foil.

Thanks. I guess some tin foil is going into my wallet.

quilting cat 12-18-2010 02:49 PM

Foil will not hurt credit card strips, as aluminum is not magnetized. The packaging for shipping some items is made of a foil to protect them (I'm thinking Fastrac toll scanners).
If you are worried about this and making a new purse anyway, Insulbrite as batting has a thin layer that should stop the scanning.

Karyn 12-19-2010 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
but i don't think foil would be good for your credit cards!

Thats what I'm thinking, foil might scratch the magnetic strip and cause it not to work. Why couldn't we make a little credit card wallet/ and line it with foil, soft fabric would be touching our cards and not scratching them. Such a shame that these 'intelligent' people are not putting it to good use.

Karyn 12-19-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I have a simple solution......Don't have those blasted devil created cards in the first place.

I seen that report too on FOX News, there is a symbol on your card that looks like three radar waves if it has that then your card can supposedly be scanned. That scanner he was using is in 7-11's, some gas pumps and places like Mickey D's.

Only problem with not using them is, no online ordering or by phone either. Have to order-mail in a check- and WAIT.

Debra Mc 12-19-2010 07:13 AM

I have some batting made for hot pads & it is sandwiched with a silver foil type material. It is suppose to block the heat. This might work out. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but maybe some of you know what I'm talking about. It just might work.

sandpat 12-19-2010 07:28 AM

They featured this story on the news here too and even demo'd the device that you can use to steal them (you can buy it on ebay). If someone "bumps you" in a crowd or anywhere- chances are they were trying to steal you card #. They then interviewed the guy selling the wallet that can stop it...he admitted that aluminum foil will do the same thing for much less. I think a great solution is to leave the cards at home except for the one I am using that day. I don't have any RF cards yet though...you should look at your cards to check and see if they have the symbol. If you don't shop anywhere where you need to use this feature...just opt for a card without it.

catrancher 12-19-2010 09:52 AM

My husband is an engineer. This is what he said about it:

First of all, your card has to have the RFID chip for this to work, and you can find a symbol on the back of your card that will tell you if it does. I just checked our cards, and none of them have it.

Second, if thieves will do this, the cards will stop being made. If you don't have one now, you probably never will.

Third, if you're like me, your cards are all stacked together in your wallet. The device would get just a mish mash of information and nothing usable.

Fourth, the person has to stand right next to you to get close enough. I never let a stranger stand that close to me, except possibly in a checkout line, when I have my wallet and my cards in my hand.

My take on it? The chance it would happen to you is extremely remote.