Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Too precious not to pass on (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/too-precious-not-pass-t232212.html)

MaryKatherine 10-11-2013 04:55 AM

Too precious not to pass on

How many of these statement were common in your home when you were a child.
Mary Katherine

Things My Mother Taught Me

MY mother taught me to appreciate a JOB WELL DONE : “ If you're going to kill each other, do it out side. I just finished cleaning in here.”

My mother taught me LOGIC : “ Because I said so, that's why.”

My mother taught me FORESIGHT : “Wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident.”

My mother taught me IRONY : “ Keep crying and I'll give you something to cry about.”

My mother taught me the science of OSMOSIS : “ Shut your mouth and eat your supper.”

My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM : “ Will you look at the dirt on the back of your neck.”

My mother taught me STAMINA : “You'll sit there till that spinach is gone.”

My mother taught me about the WEATHER : “This room looks like a Tornado went through it.”

My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY : “ If I told you once I told you a million times – don't exaggerate.”

My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION : “Stop acting like your Father.”

My mother taught me about ENVY : There are millions of children less fortunate than you who don't have the wonderful parents you have. “

My mother taught me ANTICIPATION : Wait till your father gets home.”

My mother taught me about RECEIVING : You're going to get it when we get home.”

My mother taught me about MEDICAL SCIENCE : If you don't stop crossing your eyes they're going to freeze like that.
“
My mother taught me about HUMOUR : Don't come to me when you cut you toes off with that lawn mower.”

My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT : If you don't eat that all up, you'll never grow up.”

My mother taught me about my ROOTS : Shut that door – Do you think we live in a barn?”

My mother taught me WISDOM : When you get to be my age you'll understand.”

My mother taught me JUSTICE : I hope one day you have kids and they turn out just like you. “

lillybeck 10-11-2013 05:14 AM

I remember ost of these and swore I would not do my children like that LOL I just last night told one of my GDs to do something and she said why. you guessed it"because I said so" lol

Tartan 10-11-2013 05:18 AM

:DSo true!

raedar63 10-11-2013 05:32 AM

This is great ! AND I for one think these old ways of parenting need to be re-instated ! I work in a busy ER and I know I must be getting old when I can barely tolerate how horribly misbehaved some children are . I get hit, kicked , spit on etc , and the parents just let it happen ! I had an 11 year old spit her medicine on me TWICE the other night , mom says awwww please take your medicine ! I somehow don't think this girl has heard these ! OK sorry I could really rant here LOL.

mighty 10-11-2013 06:07 AM

Wow, I have heard every single one of those.

kayluvs2quilt 10-11-2013 08:49 AM

I have heard (and said) every one of them. And it took me years to get my eyes not to cross!

ann clare 10-11-2013 12:31 PM

I remember. Did bring back memories. Even my children remember some.

Jingle 10-11-2013 12:36 PM

I heard some of them. I'm with raedar63. Seems to be lots of brats nowdays. Parents are afraid to damage their egos.

Anniedeb 10-11-2013 10:19 PM

I'd swear we had the same Mother!! Did she teach you to BE PREPARED???...Always keep a dime in your bra...Never know when you might need to make a phone call!!:D

MaryKatherine 10-12-2013 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb (Post 6344229)
I'd swear we had the same Mother!! Did she teach you to BE PREPARED???...Always keep a dime in your bra...Never know when you might need to make a phone call!!:D

$2 taxi money!!
MK