Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Top Stitch Not Pretty, Underside is? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/top-stitch-not-pretty-underside-t307739.html)

zozee 10-30-2019 10:21 AM

Top Stitch Not Pretty, Underside is?

I've spent the better (worse?) part of the day experimenting with my decorative stitches that I'm using on rice therapy bags. I've never had issues with decorative stitches before, but today has been brutal.

I'm so frustrated, having messed with needle changes, cleaning the whole lint area, adjusting tension,
thread changes, width and length changes for the stitches (as well as keeping them "as is"). What I'm finding is that the top stitches are looking bad, but the bottom stitches are fine.

What am I missing? I would abandon the project today and do something else, except that I have a craft show coming up (my first one) with lots of inventory still to make. I don't want to use plain Jane straight stitches, but am trying to make each bag somewhat different in fabric and/or decorative stitches. I have to keep them tight so no rice or flaxseed come out .

Please advise.

bearisgray 10-30-2019 10:24 AM

I know you are trying for "pretty" - but how about french seams for finishing the items?

You could have the finished seam either on the inside or outside - I think it would look fine on the outside of the bags.

mkc 10-30-2019 10:27 AM

#1 what is the fabric (does it have a nap to the "good" side that perhaps the stitches are getting buried in)?

#2 are you using the same thread in both needle and bobbin?

Tartan 10-30-2019 10:27 AM

You can probably stitching through 4 layers of fabric and decorative stitches would need to be lengthened. If the bottom is fine, is the top loose? If loose, the top tension may need tightening. Work on 4 layers of scraps until you work out the problem.

zozee 10-30-2019 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The first two bags went fine with the "wave" stitch". But this vine stitch is a different story. Let me show you what I mean. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use 2 or 4 layers. And no, there's no nap to the fabric.

The tension is set to auto, the stitch to its auto-programmed one. I have not changed it in these samples. My thread is the same--Connecting Threads in the same color in needle as bobbin.

zozee 10-30-2019 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619094[/ATTACH]

So picture ! is the top side. Picture 2 is the bottom side. They should match but clearly the top stitch looks all narrow and funky.

osewme 10-30-2019 11:22 AM

Looks like the auto tension is not working correctly. Can you override the auto tension & manually try to adjust it? Maybe try re-threading your machine & check to make sure the needle is in right & not backwards.

Tartan 10-30-2019 11:43 AM

The bobbin thread is coming to the top. If you can’t over ride the auto tension, get out your manual and check that you are threaded properly. Check your tension discs to make sure there isn’t a thread scrap stuck in it.

zozee 10-30-2019 11:53 AM

I will do more tinkering after a nap. I woke up with a headache and it was exacerbated by the sewing issues. I’m calling it a “tension” headache!

leonf 10-30-2019 11:59 AM

Great name for the headache.