Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   topic titles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/topic-titles-t77989.html)

bearisgray 11-22-2010 08:27 AM

Is is sooo helpful to be able to find something again when the topic title is detailed.

Example: "Three bargello quilts in blues"

is so much easier to find again than

"Some Things I Made This Year" or "Gifts for Christmas" or "looky, looky"

The search function is good - but it only gives one page of listings.

kathy 11-22-2010 08:32 AM

I agree, and I'm also guilty, I will try to be a better example.

Sadiemae 11-22-2010 08:34 AM

Bearisgray, you have made an awesome point!

I hope you don't mind if I say another thing, I miss out on photos when they say "download". I can't open the majority of them.

bearisgray 11-22-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

I hope you don't mind if I say another thing, I miss out on photos when they say "download". I can't open the majority of them.

I don't like "downloads" either. I have some in the first part of my PDA and I'm sure that's a turn-off for whoever may have stumbled in there. It took me a while to figure out how to get pictures/scans/illustrations to show up.

For some things, that may be the only way to go, but I usually just shrug my shoulders at a "download" and think "I didn't really want to see it anyway."

Deb watkins 11-22-2010 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

With you on this. My computer often blocks the downloads. I agree that specific titles do help, especially when I forget to bookmark a thread and then cannot find it.

okiepastor 11-22-2010 08:55 AM

I agree--when brand new to this not so long ago, I did not even know about bookmarks, and lost the thread to a swap I signed up for---tried all the searches , etc. and did not find it again. I had posted on it, and did not even find it in my posts---very weird!
I need ot do better on this as well--just get in a hurry.

mollymct 11-22-2010 10:03 AM

That is a very good point and would make searches so much easier!! I also don't tend to open links or downloads much.

amandasgramma 11-22-2010 10:28 AM

Good point -- thanks!

Also, if I may add it here....when doing a tutorial, PLEASE show a pic of the finished product at the top. One day I had to go thru 3 pages before I could see what it was! And saying "I made this tute for xxx"......DESCRIBE it!!!!please!

amma 11-22-2010 10:49 AM

This is actually addressed in the rules/guidelines here :wink:
Admin has asked us to use descriptive titles for all of our topics :D:D:D

This holds true to all of the sections of the board too, not just pictures.

Questions/information in Main/GCC for example. A topic titled "Help" or a partial sentence, "What do I do when," is useless in a search.
Many members may even pass it by because they don't "know" what the subject matter is. If pressed for time, they may skip over these... and one of them may have the perfect answer/solution/resource for you too :wink:

Does anyone know of a way to place a pdf here, without it having to be opened as a download? I would LOVE to have this knowledge :D:D:D

Changing the format of a picture can make it appear in your topic, rather than having to be a download :wink:

dsb38327 11-22-2010 12:14 PM

I know I miss many good topics and I will continue to miss them. It almost seems like it feeds from itself. Like others follow the pattern once it gets started. The descriptive titles will begin to appear again for awhile and the empty title frenzy will start again.
When I see titles that contain no nouns I feel like someone is trying to trick me into reading the post.
The little girl in me says NO! I am not going to read that post, they are not going to trick me!
Sorry but that is the truth.