Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Travel insurance question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/travel-insurance-question-t253112.html)

Seaside gal 09-05-2014 11:40 AM

Travel insurance question

Has anyone purchased Squaremouth or Insure My Trip travel insurance?

These two were recommended by a tv travel show. Squaremouth insurance is purchased by the year not by the trip.

We like to cruise and are getting up there in years so the insurance offered by cruise vendors is way too expensive for us.

Any info, anyone?

celwood 09-06-2014 03:56 AM

I used to never buy insurance. Two years ago I purchased flight tickets and on a fluke purchased the insurance. A week before my trip I fell and broke my ankle. I filed for the insurance and they paid within two weeks. I was impressed. All I had to send was a doctor's note reflecting that I could not travel

noveltyjunkie 09-06-2014 04:33 AM

Cancellation insurance is good, but older folks really need to have cover for any medical problems that may arise while they are travelling, as well as the cost of getting home, perhaps with special handling/support required. It's so hard to compare like with like because the cover varies so much. We upped our regular medical cover to meet any medical needs abroad and now buy cheaper insurance just for loss of luggage and cancellation.

mrandmrsquilter 09-06-2014 11:17 AM

DH and I love to cruise and we always buy trip insurance. Knock on wood we have yet to use it. I can't imagine what the cost would be if one of use had to be air lifted off of the ship.

Seaside gal 09-06-2014 01:28 PM

Apparently no one has purchased Squaremouth travel insurance which I what I was interested in.

We have purchased other kinds before also.

DDuMouchel 09-09-2014 09:00 AM

We always use American Express travel insurance. You can buy it by the month, so we buy it for the month we're going on a trip, then cancel it when we get back. We are caregivers for my 89-year-old mother-in-law (who is back in the hospital AGAIN) and have had to cancel several trips due to her health.

Seaside gal 09-09-2014 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel (Post 6881081)
We always use American Express travel insurance. You can buy it by the month, so we buy it for the month we're going on a trip, then cancel it when we get back. We are caregivers for my 89-year-old mother-in-law (who is back in the hospital AGAIN) and have had to cancel several trips due to her health.

Thanks for the info. Do you just call American Express to get it?

Jeanne S 09-15-2014 08:17 PM

Sorry I have not used either company you mentioned. However I travel a lot --3 or 4 international trips a year-- and use Travel Insured International. Filed a claim one time when my husband couldn't go and they paid off in a few weeks, no problem. But if you are just looking for medical and medical evacuation coverage you can't beat MedJet-they will take you to your home hospital--not just the closest medical facility which is a HUGE difference from most! Off to Romania in 2 weeks!!