Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Trip cancellation insurance? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/trip-cancellation-insurance-t252098.html)

jillmc 08-18-2014 05:41 PM

Trip cancellation insurance?

We are renting a condo at the beach this winter, and with a 92 yr old father-in-law, I think it will be smart to purchase trip cancellation insurance. Any recommendations? :)

quilter711 08-18-2014 05:57 PM

I have used Travelguard Insurance for 2 trips. The coverage was good and the price was competitive. Check out their website. You can email questions or call them. They have very good customer service. We have not needed to use the insurance so can't speak for that part. Happy traveling!

Nammie to 7 08-18-2014 06:06 PM

A friend bought the travel insurance and the event that happened when she needed to use it wasn't covered. Be sure to get all the details of what the insurance will and won't cover.

DogHouseMom 08-18-2014 06:53 PM

We buy it every time we go to Jamaica through the hotel we book at (they also insure our air fare). We normally don't do trip insurance, but we go to Jamaica at the tail end of hurricane season. So far we missed a direct hit by 2 weeks, and the following year we watched a hurricane 100 miles offshore - it was a great light show and the waves it created the next few days were loads of fun!

Doggramma 08-18-2014 07:36 PM

I've been getting it myself lately because of my own health issues and my husband's elderly mother. I usually book through Orbitz or Expedia and purchase it from there as part of the package with the airfares and hotel. When we went to Hawaii, our package was over 5,000 and I was somewhat surprised that you don't get 100% reimbursed, but it's better than not having it.

Wanabee Quiltin 08-19-2014 05:47 AM

Used TravelGuard and it is good, had to cancel once and they paid right away.

cindi 08-19-2014 06:09 AM

We bought it when we planned a trip to Universal Orlando with our granddaughter. Best thing we ever did. DGD ended up in the ICU that week with Lemierre's Syndrome. If we'd not had it, we'd have lost almost $7K in airfare, hotel and other excursions we had paid for!! Well worth the extra money, especially with an elderly parent - or if you have children!

gramma nancy 08-19-2014 06:31 AM

We have been buying it for our pricier foreign trips. Haven't had to make a claim yet, but it sure gives peace of mind. Though it's expensive, we just consider it part of the cost of the trip.

Stitchnripper 08-19-2014 06:47 AM

We get travel guard any time we fly, just because we are getting older and there are elderly parents to consider. Haven't had a claim, thankfully, but feel like they would make good if we did.

lynnie 08-19-2014 01:42 PM

we always buy it for a cruise, you just never know.