Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Trying to outsmart the cat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/trying-outsmart-cat-t190367.html)

sguillot 05-31-2012 10:01 AM

I have two small dogs and don't have a problem. The youngest will lay at my feet while I'm sewing and sleep. After awhile he gets bored so we go in the back yard and play catch for a little bit and he's happy to go take another nap. The older on who is female just lays in her bed in the den.

Caswews 05-31-2012 12:13 PM

Good Luck !! Cats are smarter than we think .. But my dog will tell you otherwise !LOL

luvstoquilt 05-31-2012 01:07 PM

There is positively no way to outsmart a cat! They don't care if you scream..nothing bothers them. I learned long ago I live in a home totally controlled by Mr.Peach! He does exactly what he wants and when he wants. If I shut him out he cries and the foot is under the door. I personally use clips and try not to use many pins..Oh well, I do love that silly cat!

Phannie1 05-31-2012 04:09 PM

Mine likes to chase my threads but I have yet to have them go after my pins. It is gotten were It is not a good quilt unless it is "kitty tested." Did not know that about Citrus

Sheila_H 05-31-2012 05:52 PM

Cats are always smart minded you may think you have out smarted them but they learn quickly. I think I would just give up lol I think she just wants to be with you and be part of what your doing. Maybe give them space at the other end of the table/desk with some soft fabric to lay on with some toys to bat around, good luck! Even my dog lays down under my table and right at the foot pedal I think he is trying to tell me something!

honeybea 05-31-2012 07:03 PM

I had a cat a few years back that somehow played with a thread that had a sewing needle at the end.....long story short she got the thread in her mouth and the needle was swollowed. I realized something was wrong when she started spitting up blood and put two and two together......she had to undergo surgery and luckily it was just cought in time. I am super cautious when I have my sewing out . They are very curious .

MimiBug123 05-31-2012 09:52 PM

My dogs and cats love the spritzer bottle. It doesn't matter what I give them to play with--fabric, batting or whatever--they want what I have. My husband says it's like living with a house full of toddlers. They hear what you're saying, but then look at you and do whatever they want to do!

aeble 06-01-2012 04:16 AM

I lay out a couple pieces of newspaper, and find a few "rings" from the top of juice containers we've opened. That seems to keep them interested in other things for an hour or two. . . well, until it's time to baste the quilt. I haven't figured that one out yet.

WMUTeach 06-01-2012 04:52 AM

I haven't had your challenges with my puss but she does seem to love to be on my fabric when I am cutting it. Cats are so quick and I am always in fear of cutting her with the rotary cutter. When doing lots of cutting, just returning her to the floor becomes a game of on the table/off the table. I resort to either closing her in another room for a span of time or closing ME in a room to keep her little paws safe. You know cat antics are cute, but only the first time. Love those kitty helpers. My thoughts are with you.:)

Minnisewta 06-01-2012 04:56 AM

Sounds like she needs a playmate to keep her busy. It's just a thought.
My daughters cat likes to chew on thread, elastic, yarn you name it. A few months ago he got a hold of the thread on the sewing machine. It cost them $1,200.00 for the surgery and all. They took out 5 yards of thread. I think the more he tried to spit it out the more he ingested. I had a dog once that got a hold of my pin container. Lucky I had a cow magnet nearby and just rubbed it around his mouth.
I don't have any better ideas then what's already been said, good luck with the kitty.