Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tumbleweed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tumbleweed-t275877.html)

DOTTYMO 02-18-2016 11:37 PM

Tumbleweed

I hope non of you Australian quilters are wrapped up in tumbleweed? It looks so difficult to control and spiky to walk through.

earthwalker 02-19-2016 01:32 AM

None in Perth, Western Australia.....looks terrible stuff though. We are battling strong winds and have had a dreadful heatwave.....bit cooler last few days. Am so ready for winter.

misspriss 02-19-2016 06:21 AM

Save those tumbleweeds and paint them white and make a yard snow man. I am from the mid west and that's the fun thing to do with children.

Chasing Hawk 02-19-2016 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by misspriss (Post 7470167)
Save those tumbleweeds and paint them white and make a yard snow man. I am from the mid west and that's the fun thing to do with children.

My Mom always wanted to do that. We lived on the coast in Central California when I was a kid, no tumbleweeds.

ManiacQuilter2 02-19-2016 08:10 AM

Funny, summer has already started here in Southern California

Chasing Hawk 02-19-2016 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7470316)
Funny, summer has already started here in Southern California

Hush!......lol

Tartan 02-19-2016 09:14 AM

I saw that on the news and it was amazing with houses and cars covered.

lynnie 02-19-2016 09:40 AM

years ago I worked in a company, and a woman i'd talk to on the phone for work said some were as big as cars, and worse yet, they'd pick up any type of garbage along the way, like tin cans and household garbage, so when they hit your car, they would also scratch it. is it true or was she just pulling my leg?

roguequilter 02-19-2016 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7470402)
years ago I worked in a company, and a woman i'd talk to on the phone for work said some were as big as cars, and worse yet, they'd pick up any type of garbage along the way, like tin cans and household garbage, so when they hit your car, they would also scratch it. is it true or was she just pulling my leg?

they grow big here. will definitely scratch your rig when driving through them on highway. i've never seen them with any debris in them. hubs took a pic of me holding tips of a pair of huge tumbleweeds, one on each side of me, while we were cleaning up after winter windstorms. they were as tall as me @ 5' 3".

tumbleweeds are the dead/dried form of russian thistle, an asian immigrant that entered USA with grain shipments in 1800's. they grow well here where i live in arid desert like region of south central eastern washington state. they are nasty prickley when dried, but for me they are worse when green and just start growing. i get rash on arms & legs when i'm pulling them out of gardens, grapevines and fruit trees.
...but they have the most beautiful blossoms of heather like flowers in aug/september. i wish i could post a pic here of a hillside i photographed & sent to my son a few years ago. but i can't get pics small enough using my ipad.

nativetexan 02-19-2016 12:21 PM

at least they are small and look light weight!!