Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   TV (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tv-t24977.html)

AtHomeSewing 09-03-2009 06:41 AM

Oh, Please put in a plug for the ABC show CASTLE.

ABC describes as,

"Castle is a 1 hour witty drama based on a famous crime and horror novelist who helps the NYPD homicide department solve crimes. Castle is inspired by shows like “Rockford Files” & “Moonlighting” that are lighthearted with romantic tension and unlike the dark procedurals prevalent today Castle invites the viewer to invest in the relationship of two people having fun together and engaging in witty banter."

Joan 09-03-2009 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I say tell them you don't watch TV and let them have someone else do it. Don't start watching it!! :wink:

I agree with Karla. Why start watching it if you don't really care for it anyway.

Just send it back to them and reply that you don't watch TV as well. They need to know that some people just don't enjoy it at all.

It is interesting to me that "we" can't come up with many shows anyone really likes. It tells you something about television, doesn't it? (Or, maybe it says we would rather be sewing.......)

MsSage 09-03-2009 07:09 AM

I did the neilson shopping one for a few years then I missed one week and they pulled it.....I did as I was told sent in a vacation but oh well it was a hassle.
I havent had "tv" for 2 years. I have one and a dvd player and watch movies for noise while sewing or cleaning. I dont miss it one bit.

I vote for if you dont watch tell them you dont and say Thanks but no Thanks.

BellaBoo 09-03-2009 07:27 AM

I like watching tv. I think television is great. I am fascinated to see what is happening thousands of miles away as it happens. Watching the space ship launch and land, how can you not be in awe seeing that? The History and Discovery channel, Food Network, HGTV, Classic Movie, National Geographic, The Learning Channel, and the hard hitting news channels that has exposed me to new and different view points.

I like The Closer and Saving Grace. House, Criminal Minds, Monk and Psych. Numbers, Leverage, Southland, and for sitcoms I like The Office, Big Bang Theory the best. The grittier shows like Dexter, Weeds, Nurse Betty and True Blood have very unbelievable story lines but keeps things interesting! I have one or two shows a night I watch and Nick at Nite is always a stand by if nothing else is on. I do a lot of handwork watching tv.

littlehud 09-03-2009 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Hmm.......the only tv I sit and watch, when the shows are on are...NCIS, Survivor, Amazing Race, sometimes Bachelor/Bachelorette and sometimes Dancing With The Stars.
Other than that, I don't watch much, well, unless Gordon Ramsey is on lol

OH Terri, we love Hells Kitchen here. We DVR it and my DD and I pick our time to watch it together. What fun.

BellaBoo 09-03-2009 08:04 AM

Hell's Kitchen will make you not want to eat out ever again. Do you see all that sweat dripping into the food? Same with Iron Chef! LOL

redkimba 09-03-2009 08:05 AM

A few of my favorites:

Big Bang Theory (CBS) - the show concerns two male Caltech prodigies in their twenties, one an experimental physicist (Leonard) and the other a theoretical physicist (Sheldon), who live across the hall from an attractive blonde waitress with show-biz aspirations (Penny).

Burn Notice (USA) - ex-CIA spy living in Miami. Bruce Campbell.

Leverage (TNT) - Leverage follows a five-person team of thieves, computer experts and con artists, headed up by former insurance investigator Nate Ford, who use their skills to right corporate and governmental injustices inflicted on common citizens.

Warehouse 13 (scyfy) - The series follows United States Secret Service agents Myka Bering (Joanne Kelly) and Peter Lattimer (Eddie McClintock) as they are reassigned to the government's secret Warehouse 13, which houses supernatural objects.
**quirky & cute.

I have to look at my dvr to see what else we recording at the moment.

redkimba 09-03-2009 08:05 AM

Is this one of the series with that Gordon Ramsay fellow? Man, is he foul-mouthed. He would make a platoon of Marines blush....

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Hell's Kitchen will make you not want to eat out ever again. Do you see all that sweat dripping into the food? Same with Iron Chef! LOL

Lisanne 09-03-2009 10:19 AM

I'm not going to refuse to do it, because I want to do it! And doing it gives me a reason to get back into watching TV again (and maybe getting some exercise done while I'm watching, which I can't do while typing away on the computer).

I don't have cable, so cable channels will not be an issue for me. And I'd like them to know that network TV still has viewers. When I do have cable, I usually only watch HGTV on it anyway.

I go on jags where I watch TV, though in recent years that has mostly been American Idol, Biggest Loser and 20/20. Love Medium, though it's too graphic with the violence for my taste. Love cop shows, too, but it depends on the characters.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to describe shows to me. I hate trying to figure out what the premise of a show is if I miss the pilot episode. I mean, I can figure out that a cop show is a cop show, but not what makes it different from all the other cop shows.

It's also fun to see what you all like to watch.

bj 09-03-2009 03:23 PM

I did it for 1 or 2 weeks a couple of years ago. I don't watch much tv either. I just wrote down the few I do watch. In the comment section, I put better shows might prompt more watching, but I wouldn't count on it. I also wrote I'd like to see more quilting/craft shows. Seems like those are a disappearing breed.