Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Using Beeswax for Cross-stitching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/using-beeswax-cross-stitching-t147823.html)

chris_quilts 08-25-2011 11:49 AM

I travel for my job frequently and usually take along small cross-stitch projects. I lost my little piece of sponge for moistening the thread which helps it twist and tangle less. I know beeswax works on handquilting thread for the same purpose and wondered if any had tried it for cross stitching. If it's a bad idea, also let me know that and I'll replace my sponge but was thinking the beeswax doesn't need to be damp, etc. and all the other issues associated with pieces of sponge. Thanks in advance ~ Chris

butterflies5518 08-25-2011 11:52 AM

I have never used beeswax for counted cross stitch - wouldn't the wax pull off the thread as it passes thru the material and lay on top in "crumbs"?

Dianemarie 08-25-2011 11:53 AM

I use beeswax for counted cross stitch all the time. No knots and works just fine for me.

chris_quilts 08-25-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by butterflies5518
I have never used beeswax for counted cross stitch - wouldn't the wax pull off the thread as it passes thru the material and lay on top in "crumbs"?

I don't know which is why I asked. Am hoping for an answer to that question.

chris_quilts 08-25-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dianemarie
I use beeswax for counted cross stitch all the time. No knots and works just fine for me.

There's no beeswax crumbs left on the fabric?

TonnieLoree 08-26-2011 10:56 AM

I pull out each strand of floss individually and let it unwind before I put the two or three back together. I don't have to use a sponge or wax.

butterflies5518 08-26-2011 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I pull out each strand of floss individually and let it unwind before I put the two or three back together. I don't have to use a sponge or wax.

That is what I have always done. Happy xstitching!

akrogirl 08-26-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

I do the same thing and have never used a sponge or wax either. Maybe I should :?

chris_quilts 08-26-2011 12:39 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I used the sponge trick because it did keep down the tangling even when I puled one strand out at a time. Learned it from a gal who has been stitching for 30+ years. It was a good tip with the downside being that it had to be damp and my cats always thought it was a cat toy.

running1 08-26-2011 04:22 PM

There's another product (I don't own stock... just a happy customer) called Thread Heaven... comes in a little plastic box... Little! like 1.5 cm3. I run all hand-drawn thread through it, for both hand quilting and cross-stitching. I buy it at my LQS in OKC.