Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   using oxygen questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/using-oxygen-questions-t111071.html)

Ramona Byrd 03-27-2011 09:36 PM

As for power chairs, Social Security will get you one. My DH got his after carefully researching them and looking at them in the store. He was a big man and chose a Jazzy 22.

milp04 03-27-2011 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
ask the home health care provider who brings in the replacement tanks....they should be able to give you some good suggestions.

the most important rule with oxygen in the home/car/business is:

NO SMOKING NO SMOKING NO SMOKING NO SMOKING

Jodi

NO OPEN FLAME, No Open Flame, No Open Flame

This means candles. It is best to avoid having candles except for very special occasions and for a short period of time.

Candles for birthday cakes, holiday candles are ok. It's just best to burn them for just a very short period of time.

Pam M

milp04 03-27-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kathryn2
Thank you so much for the replies. The 50 foot tubing is attached to the large compressor or whatever it is called. That is what I use in the house. The tank ones will only be when I go out. I would sure like the small one but everyone knows how tight money is, so I'll have to make do with what I have. I will be talking with some people and see if someone comes up with an idea about making something to hold the tank to the wheelchair. I'm just running so many things through my mind it's getting more cluttered than usual. I really appreciate everyone replying to this. It helps just to know you replied. Blessings to all. Kathryn

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I'm so thankful though that we have the new oxygen products that are making life much easier for many.

There are several different lengths of tubing. They should have given you more than one. You can also put two smaller lengths together. There is an adapter to do this so make sure that you get some.

There are smaller tanks for when you're away from home. There are also electric concentrators that are much better than oxygen. There is also liquid oxygen that is loaded in a smaller tank that is easier to carry when away from the house. They also have portable concentrators that convert the regular air to what you need. They were just beginning to come out them a few years ago. This would be the best thing to have. You never had to worry about running out only whether it's charged up enough to work. They may also have battery backup. I'm not totally sure as we did get to use this new device.

Don't worry about the tubing at the house. The rest of the household will learn to live around it. You can get so you circle up the tubing into a small area but as soon as you have to move from one area to the other you will want to be able to shake it loose so that it doesn't get caught on furniture, etc.

You nursing advisor and the oxygen provider should be able to share with you so that you can make appropriate decisions.

Pam M