Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Vacuum cleaner advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/vacuum-cleaner-advice-t119839.html)

nance-ell 04-30-2011 07:26 AM

We were cleaning house before going on vacation the week before Easter. I think my house is always cleanest right before we leave town because I can't stand coming home to a messy house! LOL. Our vacuum cleaner died just as DH was finishing up the upstairs. So, we're in the market for a vacuum. We've been home a week and NEED to vacuum!!!!! So, just wondering what advice you all might have. We have 2 dogs (one shedder, one non-shedder). We have heard great things about the Dyson model for pets, but I really hate to spring $500-600 for one vacuum cleaner! We've also seen good reviews on LG and it's not quite as pricey. But, if anyone has had great experience with a good machine, I'd like to hear about it before I head to the store.

Thanks!

amandasgramma 04-30-2011 07:27 AM

I have the Hoover Windtunnel and it does a really great job of taking care of the cat hair. Been using it for 4 years. The only problem I have with it is that it will NOT vacuum the floor for me --- it insists I have to USE it!

sall 04-30-2011 07:28 AM

l love my Dyson, but I do not have pets.

bluteddi 04-30-2011 07:33 AM

We have a basic Dyson.... ( I think we got it at Walmart for @ $300) and we love it. We have to long hair sheeding cats, and I'm a very long haired shedding blonde ( we have to cut my hair out of the beat bar every 6 months or so).We have had it about 3 years.... ( and hubby is a compulsive vacummer) It's still going like wild!. It even ate one of the cats mini toy mice, kept right on going. ( no mice were hurt... we retrived said toy mouse from the " tunnel" and all was happy. ) I was funny to see the cat sit in front of the vacum and watch his mouse go round and round and round....LOL

Charlee 04-30-2011 07:36 AM

I have the Dyson pet vac, and the ONLY difference between it and the standard Dyson is the pet hair attachment for doing furniture. Had I known that before I bought it, I would have gotten the standard Dyson...
It's a hard working machine tho...and I love it!

Janetlmt 04-30-2011 07:42 AM

I guess I will always buy an electorlux canister. I have had all kinds of uprights. My first vac was an electolux..and my last one is.

mamaw 04-30-2011 07:44 AM

I think if you cannot afford an Electolux, go with a Kenmore canister. Uprights do not do well getting under beds and other things.

feffertim 04-30-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I think if you cannot afford an Electolux, go with a Kenmore canister. Uprights do not do well getting under beds and other things.

you mean people actually vacuum under their beds. ? LOL

carhop 04-30-2011 08:58 AM

My neighbor got the dyson anamial one and the hairs got tangled in the hatch to hold it up when she took it back to where she bought said that is a common happening but easy to clean out. I have an orick right now but have had hover ericka and a kenmore I think they all last about the same.

irishrose 04-30-2011 09:20 AM

I have a Hoover Windtunnel that is 17 years old and going strong. My Siberian wolfdog kept it busy as does my Border Collie/Lab. Moira has long silky BC hair, but sheds like a Lab. I couldn't have her without that vacuum.