Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Vacuum help needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/vacuum-help-needed-t246799.html)

Doggramma 05-14-2014 06:32 PM

Shark. Dyson is way too expensive. Have one Shark for downstairs and one for upstairs. I also have hardwood except bedrooms are carpeted. And I also use a stick vaccuum for quick zips around. The Shark has the swivel, good suction, easy to dump out the dirt, and comes apart easily for using the brush or pointer thing. When it comes apart, that canister part is pretty light.

I've had the vaccums about 4 years for one and 2 years for the other and haven't had any issues with them

of course, we don't have animals here so I can't attest to the dog hair cleaning

Nammie to 7 05-14-2014 07:27 PM

I have the Dyson and wouldn't give it up. I have 7 cats so need something that will pick up all that hair! I use it on hard floors and carpeting. Certainly don't regret making that purchase!

tesspug 05-14-2014 10:56 PM

Have had both. I found the Sharks do not last. The Purple Dyson has gone on for years.

NJ Quilter 05-15-2014 02:59 AM

I, too, have the purple dyson. 2 labs = lots of hair. Dyson does a great job. It IS heavy. I like the fact that all the tools are self-contained. I don't find it problematic to use the hose/tools. Use it on ceramic tile; carpet; vinyl. No settings to change. I have a small other brand (don't recall) that I keep upstairs under the delusion that there is not as much hair/dirt upstairs as down. More and more I find myself dragging the dyson up/down the stairs. THAT is painful but it does do a much better job.

niftynickel 05-15-2014 03:41 AM

Dyson Love It!! Have the purple all floors and got the small canister for my lower level and sewing room. Not as fond of the canister but it does a great job sucking up the junk!!! They both sure do a great job on all the floors, we have dogs and a bird.

JT 05-15-2014 03:53 AM

I have the Shark Rotator. Go to the shark website and you can get the Rotator and a steam mop for about $200, one third of the price of a dyson. I've had mine for over one year and not a problem, picks up dog hair like you can't believe. Great attachments and quick and easy to use. I work at a quilt shop and the owner needed a new vac. She order one set for the shop and one set for her home. GREAT VACUM!!! Picks up way better than the Electrolux or Kirby that I've had. The top rated vacum!!!

callen 05-15-2014 03:59 AM

I have 3 Dysons (the 1st one was purchased used) & wouldn't do without any of them. They are expensive but worth every penny IMHO. I live in a 2 storey house (not counting the basement) & cannot drag machines up & down the stairs. Can't comment on a Shark because I have never used one.

Dodie 05-15-2014 04:51 AM

please don't buy a shark if you have pets there is no way to take the head off and clean the roller brush after 3 monthe mine burned out the motor they did send me another one but now no warranty so as soon as it is done I will have to decide what to buy just make sure you can open to get to the roller brush to clean threads and hair

SewinSue 05-15-2014 04:56 AM

We are looking for carpet for our upstairs so have visited with installer/ carpet cleaners etc. It seems that some Dyson models as well as other brands untwist the carpet fibers therefore wear out the carpet very rapidly. I would suggest that before making a purchase decision one should do some research as to what is best for carpet. It is too big of an investment to just go to WalMart or Costco or whatever and read the box only. IMHO.

Dodie 05-15-2014 05:00 AM

SewinSue that is very good advise maybe some of those fibers is what burned up my Shark but I am going to be very careful in my buying another one it will have to be one that I am able to take out threads or whatever wraps around the roller brush thanks for the info on carpet fibers