Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Very close call yesterday! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/very-close-call-yesterday-t181531.html)

Yooper32 03-04-2012 05:51 AM

Just think of all the wonderful exercise you got going up and down those stairs for two days and you were blessed too to have been missed by the tornado, so all in all, it was a good day for you.

damaquilts 03-04-2012 06:12 AM

I don't think you are crazy. I couldn't take all my things but I can tell you I would have my machine in one hand, my old photos in a bag , and my dog under the other arm. If I had a lot of time I would take more but those would be my first grabs.

Fabaddict 03-04-2012 06:16 AM

the safe place in my house is my "inventory" closet - the one with all the fabric. LOL

Jothesewer 03-04-2012 08:07 AM

I am so glad you are safe, when warnings come it is for our benefit to prepare. I do not have a basement but if I did, my valuables would be there except for medicine and purse. (I am thinking) Jo

IdahoSandy 03-04-2012 08:32 AM

Just know that you took your most precious things to the basement, kids, sewing machine and fabrics.

lynnegreen 03-04-2012 08:40 AM

So glad you are safe. I cannot imagine living with tornado threats. Or hurricane either.

EllieGirl 03-04-2012 08:42 AM

I don't think you're crazy at all, I did the same thing!! I live in Louisville and we were given plenty of warning. I'm severely asthmatic so my medications and breathing machines were first. Then I took my lap top down because it has all my family pictures on it, plus my iPad. Next was my sewing machine and last were the ashes from my dog, Ellie, who was glued to my hip when she was alive. Our insurane papers, etc are already in the basement.

margee 03-04-2012 08:57 AM

You did the right thing in right order. I don't have basement so safe place is my bathtub. Never had a tornado tochdown in my town but the siren went off in evening of last yr. I was in bed with cat & dog. No kids here. Grabbed my dog and called the cat. They thought I was crazy when I pulled back shower curtain and laid down in tub with them. boy was that scary. Moved here from Calif 6 yrs ago & didn't look for house with a basement because their had never been a tornado here. Now, I wish that I had a basement. Don't know what' scarier--tornado or earthquake. Oh, I I could have my Janome 11000SE would have been somewhere in that tub with us.!

yourstrulyquilts 03-04-2012 09:07 AM

I'm so glad you and your family are OK. We aren't subjected to tornadoes here, but we get floods from time to time, and last year was one of those times. I was ready to start hauling stuff out of my sewing room when the water started to recede.

QUILTNMO 03-04-2012 09:31 AM

think you did the right thing those storms are scarey glad you are safe