Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Vinyl Cushions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/vinyl-cushions-t105616.html)

Hope2quilt 03-06-2011 08:19 PM

I am making some cushions for an anitque chair. The chair will go into a room that is for my mom. Can anyone tell me what kind of needle I should use on my sewing machine? I have a Janome 7700. Also, what kind of thread should I use?

everybody's mother 03-06-2011 08:54 PM

Heavy duty carpet thread or button sewing thread. You may need to ask at an upholstery shop. Sometimes they have nearly empty spools they may sell or give to you. Heavy nylon also works, not the monofilament kind, the kind that boatcover places use. Good luck with your project!

everybody's mother 03-06-2011 08:56 PM

Oh, the needle, get the biggest size like 16 or 18. Sometimes it says denim or jeans on the package.

Hope2quilt 03-07-2011 05:26 AM

Thank you Everybody's Mother! An upholstery shop wanted to charge me $250 to make the cushions and they are as small as a bed pillow. I found the material for $10.00 - well so far that is what it has cost. My mom is going to love the finished chair!

Tink's Mom 03-07-2011 07:02 AM

Sorry to disagree, but...I wouldn't use that kind of thread in my computerized machine. Use a good sturdy polyester thread...no bargain basket stuff. I prefer Guttermann, but everyone knows what their machine likes.
If you use the stitch that goes back and forth as a straight stitch you will be doing a triple straight stitch and it will be very strong.
If you have a teflon foot for your machine, it will make things easier to manuvear.

Chasing Hawk 03-07-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by everybody's mother
Heavy duty carpet thread or button sewing thread. You may need to ask at an upholstery shop. Sometimes they have nearly empty spools they may sell or give to you. Heavy nylon also works, not the monofilament kind, the kind that boatcover places use. Good luck with your project!

You can use Monofilament thread. I was in the upholstery business for 25+ years, that's all we used.

Do you have access to a heavier machine? Vinyl is rather unforgiving at times. I used to "warm" mine up by placing it in the sun to make it more pliable.

Make sure you get it right the first time. Once you start sewing any wrong moves and the needle marks are there forever.

everybody's mother 03-07-2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Sorry to disagree, but...I wouldn't use that kind of thread in my computerized machine. Use a good sturdy polyester thread...no bargain basket stuff. I prefer Guttermann, but everyone knows what their machine likes.
If you use the stitch that goes back and forth as a straight stitch you will be doing a triple straight stitch and it will be very strong.
If you have a teflon foot for your machine, it will make things easier to manuvear.

I was thinking of a heavier machine. Sorry for the bad advice :oops: My Baby Lock sews it fine but I'm not familiar with yours. I hope not harm was done. I have worked on a lot of vinyl, too, but in those days we used commercial machines, walking feet etc. Hard to get out of the old days habit. :oops:

Tink's Mom 03-07-2011 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by everybody's mother

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom

Hey, no problem...I just knew that she has a computerized machine and that those don't handle that stuff...
I work on industrial machines, too. Have worked with many heavy duty fabrics and I hate to see someone ruin a nice machine trying to do something it isn't suited for.
We all work together here...trying to help.

I was thinking of a heavier machine. Sorry for the bad advice :oops: My Baby Lock sews it fine but I'm not familiar with yours. I hope not harm was done. I have worked on a lot of vinyl, too, but in those days we used commercial machines, walking feet etc. Hard to get out of the old days habit. :oops:

;-)