Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Walk in Bathtubs - anyone purchase one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/walk-bathtubs-anyone-purchase-one-t145532.html)

janedee 08-16-2011 07:13 AM

I used to work with the elderly and a few of them had one the main downside was having to sit and wait for it to empty before opening the door - can be a bit chilly ......
One of my ladies decided to open the door before it was empty - oh my how much water??!!!! had to get in industrial driers she lived in a bungalow so the whole of the house was flooded - a walk in shower with a seat is a much better option and not so expensive

kjdavis4 08-16-2011 03:15 PM

My take on this bathtub is that a walk in shower would be much better. Get a shower bench and a hand held shower. This bathtub looks very small and having to sit in it while it fills and drains would be a drag. Also, just looking at resale value on a home, I think the walk in shower would be more of a winner.

Ramona Byrd 08-16-2011 04:06 PM

Go to a nursing home and talk to some of the aides there.
They work with them every day and will have strong ideas about them, pro and/or con.

DebsShelties 08-16-2011 04:08 PM

I do see what everyone is saying about walk in showers, I have a shower like that already - no seat as it is small - just enough to turn around in.
I want the walk in tub for the spa jets - a spa tub more or less.
I have 2 tubs that are avail to have one replaced with a spa type tub. Looking more at the back room as it used to be a bathroom, took out the toilet and sink, floor was bad, replaced the plywood and put on new tiles on top.
Under the plywood, are 2 x 6 planks and that is on top of Concrete.
I would love to be able to sit in a bathtub to soak, I can't get out of one due to my ankles and knees.
A walk in tub would enable me to sit n soak - a spa room where I would have a space heater and a chair to hold bathrobe and towel.

DebsShelties 08-16-2011 04:09 PM

From what the reps I have spoken to and what I have read, it takes under 3 mins to drain the tubs, they use the plumbing already there.

Ramona Byrd 08-16-2011 04:14 PM

I would love to be able to sit in a bathtub to soak, I can't get out of one due to my ankles and knees.
A walk in tub would enable me to sit n soak - a spa room where I would have a space heater and a chair to hold bathrobe and towel.[/quote]
-----------------------------------
After taking care of my late DH as his legs weakened over the years, I'd STRONGLY suggest you find a way to put up grab bars.
Over the years I put up 8 of them in the master bathroom. And now I find them beginning to be handy to help me keep my balance in soapy water since I like the showers better than the tub.

DebsShelties 08-16-2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
A walk in tub would enable me to sit n soak - a spa room where I would have a space heater and a chair to hold bathrobe and towel.

After taking care of my late DH as his legs weakened over the years, I'd STRONGLY suggest you find a way to put up grab bars.
Over the years I put up 8 of them in the master bathroom. And now I find them beginning to be handy to help me keep my balance in soapy water since I like the showers better than the tub.[/quote]

I would love to be able to take a tub bath instead of being Stuck with showers as I have been over the years. Dr's have said my knees are not stable - I can't stand for long periods anymore as they do start to get weak.
A walk in tub allows me to sit and soak my knees, lower back, my hands (arthritic) a shower even with a seat would be a waste of water.

azdesertrat 08-16-2011 04:20 PM

my ex mother-in-law had her standard bathtub turned into a walk in shower,then we bought a shower chair that she can sit on and take her shower,She loves it.She couldnt lift her leg to get in the shower because of hip problems.has had 2 hip replacements and it is just much easier for her

azdesertrat 08-16-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd

Over the years I put up 8 of them in the master bathroom. And now I find them beginning to be handy to help me keep my balance in soapy water since I like the showers better than the tub.

I would love to be able to take a tub bath instead of being Stuck with showers as I have been over the years. Dr's have said my knees are not stable - I can't stand for long periods anymore as they do start to get weak.
A walk in tub allows me to sit and soak my knees, lower back, my hands (arthritic) a shower even with a seat would be a waste of water.[/quote]
you can buy shower chairs,really convienent

leatheflea 08-16-2011 04:30 PM

Would that be a pond? I've never heard of a walkin bathtub?