Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Walmart fabric departments (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/walmart-fabric-departments-t118362.html)

mimom 04-23-2011 06:05 PM

I was in Walmart today and asked the woman at the cutting counter if all of the fabric departments are coming back and she said that when that store turned into a super walmart the manager had a choice to keep either live pets (fish, gerbils, hampster) or a fabric department and he of chorse chose to keep the fabric department and also told me that if the fabric department was at a walmart store and was removed it wont be coming back, once its gone its gone. This was the Shelby Twp, MI store. My local store is in Chesterfield, MI

cjomomma 04-23-2011 06:45 PM

Our Walmart kept both the fabric and fish when they remodeled. I'm not sure the associates really know what the right answer is.

SondraR 04-23-2011 06:49 PM

our Walmart in Caro, MI got rid of the fabric and fish also... We now have at least a 30 minute drive to get to anywhere that sells fabric, be it Joann's or a LQS. :(

connie d 04-23-2011 06:49 PM

Our walmart doesn't have fabric section anymore. I spoke to someone in the store the other day and she told me maybe they might bring it back when they remodel, but she wasn't sure. The remodeling won't be until next year sometime. I'm keeping my finger crossed. :roll:

SherriB 04-23-2011 07:41 PM

Of our two Walmarts, one still has fabric and live fish. And they have even added to the fabric dept. I was so excited to see new bolts of nice quality fabric in the store this evening. Seems like there is always someone buying fabric. This store would lose big time to do away with fabrics.

Gramof6 04-23-2011 09:28 PM

In the Yukon Okla Store, they did remove the fish & fabric depts.a couple of years ago. They are now remodeling and there is now a fabric dept. again with Bolts of fabric. Small right now but more arriving weekly. So yes....Some Stores are bringing it back. Sorry they must not be at your Store, but maybe when they remodel, they will.

Painiacs 04-23-2011 09:51 PM

My DD works at walmart. She said somer bringing them back because of complaints and they realize they r losing $$ to LQS! There is talk about competeting with big lots and $ stores!!

Leota 04-23-2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
In the Yukon Okla Store, they did remove the fish & fabric depts.a couple of years ago. They are now remodeling and there is now a fabric dept. again with Bolts of fabric. Small right now but more arriving weekly. So yes....Some Stores are bringing it back. Sorry they must not be at your Store, but maybe when they remodel, they will.

That's good to hear. I hope they at least bring back the fabric dept. in the Guthrie store. I'm 11 miles from Edmond and 10 from Guthrie

Feather3 04-23-2011 11:24 PM

Our Super Wal-Mart never had live pets or fish. They remodeled & took out the fabric dept. We do have precuts, but I never see anyone buying any.

luvstitches 04-24-2011 05:05 AM

It seems there are different answers from different WalMart associates.